• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer Sport Luggage Rack

Eric B.

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport
This past Saturday, I purchased a used Explorer Sport 4X4 from a Ford dealer in my area. It is white and very nice...let me explain why I have a question about the luggage racks.

I picked it up on Monday at 6:00, so it was dark except for the parking lot lights. For delivery the salesman basically went over the remote entry code (which they didn't originally have). I left...great truck!

Well, later that evening, I was gassing up, and I look at the roof-no luggage racks! In fact, there was paint missing in the indentation where they should have been mounted!

I immediately called the saleman (he told me to call him if I had any problems), and of course he had gone home for the evening. So I reached him yesterday.

I explained that I was upset at myself for not noticing, but I remember that they were there and it even states that on the description sheet. He seemed concerned and told me to stop by.

I arrived back at the dealers this afternoon and the salesman met me outside. He said he looked in the body shop (they had to touch it up before delivery), and there were no removed luggage racks there.

So we went to the body shop to see if the manger knew anything.

This is where I was getting upset, since the body shop manager seemed to try to discredit me, first stating that was I sure that this model had a luggage rack (even though it was on their description sheet), and then when he looked at the truck, he saw no mounting holes, so he said that it must have been an aftermarket one that someone removed, and maybe I could call the previous owner! Like that is my job!

Now, this is a fairly loaded sport, all power, 4X4, everything but leather seats and the sunroof. I know and remember that it had a luggage rack on it when I bought it.

The salesman was very helpful, we left the body shop manager and went to the service counter and he (the salesman) ordered a rack for me (which he says they will have to drill on). He said that when it came in, they would mount it for me free of charge, and that he would get me a loaner or let me use his demo while it was being worked on.

Now, I think the salesman is doing an excellent job of taking care of me. ( I personally think someone in the body shop removed the luggage rack). So hopefully this situation will be rectified...(I hope they also touch up the scratched paint).

My question is, does anyone know if the factory luggage racks on a 1996 Sport were mounted by screws, or if they were glued or pressure-fitted to the roof (as it looks like mine were).

Sorry for the super long story, I just would like to be able to find the solution to the unanswered questions pertaing to this luggage rack ordeal.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, it should have definately come with one. On mine, the two side rails are mounted with 3 or 4 screws each and adhesive.

Your salesman is being really cool. Does he want to handle all our vehicle purchases from members of this board?

BTW, WELCOME!!!

Alec,

Thank you. I do agree that the salesman is doing his job well, and taking care of me.

I can see where the adhesive might of been (missing paint), but there are no screw holes...do the screws create pressure to expand the rack and keep it in place, or is the rack actually screwed into the roof on your's?

Thanks again!

Dunno if the screws actually penetrate the roof. They're too stuck in there to back one out just to see, sorry.

Alec,

Thanks, I wouldn't expect you to do that. It really looks to me like the rack is epoxied on, and the screws were used as pressure adjustment. There are no holes in the roof now, so it wasn't screwed in. I am adamant about finding this out, so the body shop just doesn't screw one on and open up the possibility of leaks. Plus, where the paint is missing has to be touched up...there is bare metal visible.

I can't wait to get this resovled so I can use this board to discuss the positive things about the Explorer. Prior to that I had a 93 Ranger Sport 2WD, (which I kept), and I am totally grooving with the upgrade to the Explorer and 4WD.

An update: I called Ford directly...they wouldn't talk to me in customer service...they said that it was engineering who would know or the dealership (who didn't know).

Does anyone out there own an explorer without a roof rack?

Thanks!

I think the only ones without roof racks were the early XL models, and some base later models (2 and 4 door). But based on what equipment yours has, you should definately have one.

The ones without just have a bare roof, plain and simple. No holes no nothing, just paint.

Alec,

It appears that my Sport was originally special ordered without them. Who knew! The one that was there was an aftermarket (which was removed by the dealership). The factory replacement will have to be screwed into the roof which I'm against at this point, seeing that the potential for leaks will be increased. Plus, based upon the touch-up work the dealership did, I don't have the most faith in the job they will do.

So, I'm just having the paint touched up and I will have a roof rack-less Explorer.

Thanks again for your help.

No roof racks = good!

Back