1996 Ford Explorer Limited V6 Pushrod engine alternator amperage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer Limited V6 Pushrod engine alternator amperage

Clarence38

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Limited
I recently purcahse a new carquest professional 95amp alternator and my headlights flicker but everything on the vehicle is stock. I'm going to buy another alternator this time 135amp hoping that would fix the problem. What would you all recommend? Battery terminals are clean and I have a new battery.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently purcahse a new carquest professional 95amp alternator and my headlights flicker but everything on the vehicle is stock. I'm going to buy another alternator this time 135amp hoping that would fix the problem. What would you all recommend? Battery terminals are clean and I have a new battery.
The 95 amp Alternator is standard rated part.
The reason your headlights is flicker is the voltage regulator. I am assuming its a reman alternator.
Is this a Remain unit or new?
only Buy a new alternator as replacement unit.
Connector a volt meter too your battery, and see what the voltage is with the headlight on , then off.

The 95 amp Alternator is standard rated part.
The reason your headlights is flicker is the voltage regulator. I am assuming its a reman alternator.
Is this a Remain unit or new?
only Buy a new alternator as replacement unit.
Connector a volt meter too your battery, and see what the voltage is with the headlight on , then off.
The Alternator I have is New it’s a Carquest Professional Alternator. It showed I was getting 14amps at a local advance auto I went to. So I thought maybe I needed a larger amperage.

The Alternator I have is New it’s a Carquest Professional Alternator. It showed I was getting 14amps at a local advance auto I went to. So I thought maybe I needed a larger amperage.
Sometimes new parts are out of the box bad. Does carquest have a replacement policy?

Why did you replace the alternator?

Assuming the headlights did not dim with the old battery and alternator? I would check to ensure that battery connections are not only clean and tight but all the ground wire connections are also clean and tight, not at the battery but at the other ends

On carquest website the 95 amp and 130
Amp units are similar price.. why would anyone ever buy the 95 amp unit I would always sell them the 130 amp unit

Why did you replace the alternator?

Assuming the headlights did not dim with the old battery and alternator? I would check to ensure that battery connections are not only clean and tight but all the ground wire connections are also clean and tight, not at the battery but at the other ends

On carquest website the 95 amp and 130
Amp units are similar price.. why would anyone ever buy the 95 amp unit I would always sell them the 130 amp unit
The alternator was going bad it used to squeal when turning on A/C. I went ahead and purchased 130amp alternator to see if that was the problem.

Sometimes new parts are out of the box bad. Does carquest have a replacement policy?
Yes, I got a replacement from Advance Auto and it still does the same thing with the light flickering. So I'm guessing it's the amperage of the alternator not being able to handle the load. I have put new 02 sensors, new power steering pump, new idle air control valve, added a short ram intake, and installed a new radio but everything else is pretty much stock lights etc.

I would clean connections
The power to the headlights has to pass through a few fuses switches and relays before finally hitting the lamps
If any of those connections have corrosion then you can get some dimming

Back