1997 instantaneous MPG display

2TimingTom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
So while I have no intentions of trying to get massive MPG numbers like the late Aldive (RIP), I would like to have an instantaneous MPG display.

What are my options?

I saw on the Scangauge website that for 1997- it won't display MPGs.

Do I have any other options?

Will the factory overhead display work? If so, what all is involved in getting that to work?

Or is the 1997 model a ******* year?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a scanguage 2 in my 1996 and it gives instant MPG numbers, as well as average MPG.

i have a scanguage 2 in my 1996 and it gives instant MPG numbers, as well as average MPG.

Yeah, the Scangauge website says it will work with 1996 Fords (except diesel).

'97 just seems to be a ******* year.

Message Center- thanks! I didn't know that's what it was called. And I seemed to remember it being in the overhead, not the center console......

it gives optimal mpg not actual, it does this by reading the air fuel ratio.

it does the same exact thing the wds or ids can do. its not accurate at all.

it gives optimal mpg not actual, it does this by reading the air fuel ratio.

it does the same exact thing the wds or ids can do. its not accurate at all.

i am guessing you have never had a sg2 , mine is always right on the money with fillups, and refills, and updates in real time, as the pedal moves up or down

and yes it works on a 97 too,that computer setup in not any different than a 1996 to present,

by the way, what makes this a "******* " anyways ??

It just seems the '97 is a hodge-podge of stuff. From trailer wiring being on either the driver side or passenger side to other stuff.

It would be nice to have the scan gauge though. I'll look into it more- or at least the return policy for wherever I buy it just in case.....

i am guessing you have never had a sg2 , mine is always right on the money with fillups, and refills, and updates in real time, as the pedal moves up or down

and yes it works on a 97 too,that computer setup in not any different than a 1996 to present,

by the way, what makes this a "******* " anyways ??

my 10k scanner did this back in the day so does my ids currently, its not accurate, it has no way of telling of fuel usage, no pid in the car shows current fuel usage, its a guesstimated on fuel economy. it works on fuel level which never is a static number does it also move when it sloshes, vs air consumption since that is metered.

while it will show numbers they are wrong.

it will work on any odb 2 vehicle.

'95 was a true b-tard... :D

I did notice some weird stuff on my old '97, maybe the Ford guys were having some fun on the line. :D

it seem like my message center is off cause when i have my check fuel light(empty) comes on and the mesage center says i have like 50miles to go till empty

I think if you get one of these new thirty thousand dollar hybrid things you get a high tech and maybe more accurate Lie-O-Meter.(lol love that)

You've got a 97 Exploder, grab some paper and a pencil. Once will be enough. :)

Back