• Register Today It's free!

1997 XLT Knocking

mentalattica

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hello everyone I've been reading posts on this forum the past few days, everyone is very helpful here. Here's my problem:

I recently bought a 1997 XLT 4.0 ohv with 86K, it ran fine and the engine was quiet though a bit sluggish on acc. 3 days later immediately after the dealership changed the oil there was a slight ticking noise after the car has been running for 15 minutes or so.

We took it back to the dealer for them to tell me it was a "lifter knock" and since it's a ford it will work itself out (this is a toyota dealership). They said use 10-40 oil too instead of 10-30. So I gave it 5 days and the ticking turned to a knocking (sounds like the car is low on oil from my experience with other cars).

Took it back to the dealer for the ASE certified technicians to tell me "we don't know anything about Fords, we just know about toyotas" I know that's a bunch of B.S. and the 1k warranty is almost up. They put some engine cleaner in it and told me to drive it for a week and it should be gone. They want me to run my warranty out so they dont have to deal with it.

Here's what I have done myself:
Changed Air Filter
Changed Plugs
Got oil Changed at Jiffy Lube again (they said do not use 10-40 so i didnt)
Used Slick 50 Engine Treatment
Used STP Engine & Fuel Sys. Cleaner

Knocking still persist, any ideas or advice??
It only knocks when car is hot/warm, and gets way louder when in gear vs. neutral or park. :confused:

Take it to a Ford dealer and get a written estimate. Go back to the dealer you bought it from and start arguing. Make sure you get everything (dates, mileage, .etc) documented. You're probably right, the original dealer is going to BS you until the warranty runs out.

Back