• Register Today It's free!

"2.3 Ecoboost 4x2 Reliability?

Rare Limited

Reaction score
City, State
Scotland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited +
I have a 3.5 Twin Turbo Ecoboost LIMITED in Scotland which I bought six months ago and now has almost 6000 miles on it. Completely trouble free and I love it. I got the Twin Turbo mainly for towing my boat and because it came with the class 3 factory tow kit. The power and handling are great and with having some of the best driving roads in the world I sometimes get the opportunity to take advantage of both. I am now in my winter home in the Philippines and here lies my dilemma. I have here a Toyota Fortuner "2.4 Diesel 4X2 which has been great and totally reliable but would like to change it for an Explorer. The National speed limit here is only 62mph (100Kph) and can only be achieved on on the twin-track tolled highways. Most of the other driving is very slow in heavily congested traffic. Some of the road surfaces are not quite up to par but nowhere is 4 wheel or all wheel drive necessary. What is necessary is full time operation of the A/C as the daytime temp. seldom drops below 90 F. There are only 2 models of the Explorer sold here, The 2.3 Ecoboost Limited 4X2 and the 4x4 3.5 Twin Turbo Ecoboost Sport. Both fully loaded except the Limited does not have the video screens in the headrests and just normal cruise control. My wife and I really like like the look of the Sport and as we are often carrying seven people she thinks the video screens would be handy. I know there are some concerns about the PTU, Water pump, Throttle body and heavy fuel consumption on the Sport, all of which would be eliminated on the Limited. So what are the issues with the 2.3? Should I go with my head (2.3) or my heart (3.5)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I daily drive my 2.3L all over the place--and whether traffic is at 80 or 45 MPH, it's been more than adequate for my non-towing, non-speed demon purposes. A/C might drag the power down a little under a heavy duty cycle, but, I've never regretted the purchase due to the engine.

I have never had any issues with 2.3L as well. Gas mileage is pretty solid for an SUV of this size and around town, it has a little bit of pull with it when you hit it. I haven't had my explorer for more than a year yet but I don't regret the 2.3L.

Your summer home is in Scotland and your winter home is in the Phillipines? I hate to assume, but it sounds like you have some money. Why on earth would you want to have 1, let alone 2, explorers?

Is there a reason you aren't considering the 2019 home market Everest? Or even another Toyota, perhaps the land cruiser instead of the fortuner?

Sorry, but just curious...

.......I know there are some concerns about the PTU, Water pump, Throttle body and heavy fuel consumption on the Sport, all of which would be eliminated on the Limited..........
I think the difference in fuel economy may be somewhat exaggerated. Don't forget that the 2.3 has to work a little harder to move the Explorer, especially if you are moving 7 people.

Peter

Ditto. If much of the usage is loaded up, I'd opt for the 3.5EB. Otherwise the 2.3 should be plenty.

Your summer home is in Scotland and your winter home is in the Phillipines? I hate to assume, but it sounds like you have some money. Why on earth would you want to have 1, let alone 2, explorers?

Is there a reason you aren't considering the 2019 home market Everest? Or even another Toyota, perhaps the land cruiser instead of the fortuner?

Sorry, but just curious...
I am reasonably comfortable and became that way by not being extravagant, but looking for value for money. I had a 2000 Explorer for over 17 years which gave me excellent service. I liked the look of the series 5 and after doing considerable research decided to buy one. Love it. What value do you put on exclusivity? Although I know there are a few in the UK I have NEVER seen one on the road. There is more chance of seeing a Ferrari or a Bugatti. Here in the Philippines Everests and Fortuners are so popular (common) that it is a struggle to find your own in a parking lot. Land Cruisers just don`t do it for me. I am quite sure they will be very reliable vehicles having owned 5 Toyotas

I am reasonably comfortable and became that way by not being extravagant, but looking for value for money.

By having homes at opposite sides of the world...I keed, I keed!

Something that may or may not be a factor is what sort of situation you would be dealing with in the Philippines with regards to service and parts support. That would apply to both engines, though.

In stop and go traffic, I wouldn't want a heavy Explorer to drive around.

I am reasonably comfortable and became that way by not being extravagant, but looking for value for money.
Spending the equivalent of USD 50 large or more on an explorer is not what some/many people would think of as seeking value for your money. But, it is your money to do with as you please.

What value do you put on exclusivity? Although I know there are a few in the UK I have NEVER seen one on the road. There is more chance of seeing a Ferrari or a Bugatti. Here in the Philippines Everests and Fortuners are so popular (common) that it is a struggle to find your own in a parking lot. Land Cruisers just don`t do it for me. I am quite sure they will be very reliable vehicles having owned 5 Toyotas
I am relatively frugal and place little to no value on exclusivity myself as I learned long ago that exclusivity and value do not typically go hand in hand.

If you are primarily concerned with finding your vehicle in a parking lot, there are very easy ways to address that - special order a common vehicle in the oddest/rarest color you can, visual cues such as small colored stickers on the top corner of the front and rear glass, car alarms/app with vehicle locate capability, and so on. However, if exclusivity is what you truly desire, there are definitely better alternatives than an explorer...

Good luck whatever you decide and enjoy yourself.

I think the difference in fuel economy may be somewhat exaggerated. Don't forget that the 2.3 has to work a little harder to move the Explorer, especially if you are moving 7 people.

Peter

True, but I think once you're cruising on the highway, that 2.3L starts to shine. I got 27 mpg with 6 adults and a baby traveling from Maryland to NY. In the city, I think it starts to mean less. But the 2.3L has proven to be pretty efficient on the highway. In the city, it's still pretty bad probably because of weight and size of the engine.

Back