• Register Today It's free!

2-3 Slippage

stompy

Reaction score
City, State
Westlake, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4
Hi all, 1st post here after looking around for about an hour tonight, what a great resource! Anyway, I have a '91 explorer with 156k that I bought this past april from the original owner. He took great care of it and it has been a great vehicle.

My only issue at first was that the transmission was feeding tranny fluid into the engine and I was having to add fluid every couple weeks, but it was shifting great when it had fluid in it. I took it to have it fixed and they replaced the modulator valve. While it fixed the problem with the fluid, it now consistently slips (overrevs) going from 2-3. Lately since it has been getting colder, sometimes instead of 2-3 it will do it going from 3-OD. Also sometime when I get on the highway in the morning going to work it has trouble shifting into OD and will stay in 3rd for about 30-45 sec before shifting into OD when on the highway and kind of clunks when it finally does shift. Any insight would be great as I love my explorer but I would like to get the tranny issues resolved!

Back