• Register Today It's free!

2.8 swap with2.9

travjack

Reaction score
City, State
Harrah,oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'85 bronco2,'86 bronco2
I am considering an engine swap. I have a '85 bronco2 with an2.8 and an '86 (eddie bauer) with a fuel injected 2.9. The '85 is a man trans,the '86 is a 4 speed auto. I want to keep the man trans in 85 and replace 2.8 w/2.9. (the '86 is a roll over). Will the man trans match the 2.9? How difficult is this swap and what will I need from the parts store. I also have a '93 ranger with a weak 2.3,will the 2.9 swap into the ranger? I appreciate any help I can get?
TravJack

Yes the manual trans will bolt to the 2.9 however the flywheel will not you will need a manual flywheel/ +clutch for 2.9. there are alot of very subtle differances that make this swap a little more tricky than it looks, its not impossible by any means but its a pain in the a$$ If you are gonig through the trouble go for a 4.0 its alot more power , alot better engine and no harder to do

Yes the manual trans will bolt to the 2.9 however the flywheel will not you will need a manual flywheel/ +clutch for 2.9. there are alot of very subtle differances that make this swap a little more tricky than it looks, its not impossible by any means but its a pain in the a$$ If you are gonig through the trouble go for a 4.0 its alot more power , alot better engine and no harder to do

The 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 flywheels all bolt in place of each other, although the 4.0 requires a different clutch and starter. The 2.8 flywheel will and does work very well in a 2.9. There are 2 different 2.8 flywheels, one retains the pilot bearing, the other puts it in the crankshaft. It depends on how long the trans input shaft is as to which flywheel will be used. My son's '84 BII uses a '85 short input trans with a 2.8 flywheel on the back of a 2.9, been running well for 5 years. I would dispute the 2.9 being a waste, one can be built to be quite a runner but the cost could exceed a 4.0.

Back