20" Rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

20" Rims

Hi

I was just curious to know what would happen (if anything) if i had 20" rims on my 1997 Explorer Sport?

Like would it conflict with the suspension? the RIDE? speedometer?

Just wanted to know if there were any problems.

And the make of the rims are TRAXX...any opinions on them?

The tires would be P255 45 20.

Thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hight of the tire(255/45-20) is only 0.1" taller than the 235/75-15 so your speedo would still be correct. Now that you are going to a 45 series tire your ride would be a lil stiffer, you would notice it, but you would have less sidewall to flex, so performance wise they would handle better. the rims of course would be alot heavier than your stock wheels and tires, so you MIGHT loose a lil performance from the engine but not a whole lot. I have never seen a set of TRAXX rims so I couldn't help you there, and as far as it affecting your suspension, thats a toss up, some would say yes, some would say no. The overall height is the same as stock so you would think not, but it depends on the offset of the wheel (how far it sticks out), if you need spacers, heaviness of the rim, and so forth. As far as getting them, if you are into the street thing, go for it. It really is a toss up, looks vs. ride, do you get what I am saying?

By the way, Welcome to the Greatest Explorer board on the Net! Any questions you have about your explorer ask them here, there are thousands of us on these boards that can help you answer your questions. Let the Mods Begin!

Thank you for the useful information

do you have a link for a site with pics? i never saw traxx either.

those are some nice looking rims. but can you get them in the same bolt pattern as the explorer? the explorer has 5 the picture shows 6.
Trax-TR-286.jpg

yeah they are available for the Explorer!!!

Back