2000 Expl Airbag Code 36 Wiring Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Expl Airbag Code 36 Wiring Issue

jgrenuk

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
I am considering buying a 2000 XLT from a neighbor's kid. The airbag light shows a 36 code. The seller relplaced the stock front seats with Eddie Bauer seats from a different year. Under the front seat, the wiring is hacked, since the connectors apparently didn't match up. Here is what we have: from the seat, BLK and a BLK WH wires that are wirenutted to same color wiring that goes into the truck. Coming from the truck is a yellow 2 pin connector, male, that went to the original seat. It has a WH LB and a BRN LB wire, attached to nothing. Also coming from the car is a black 4-pin connector with WH LB, TAN YEL, BLK, and BLK WH wires, all going nowhere.

The father told me that the airbag light did not light before the seat replacement, and I believe him.

So...what do I do with the wires that come from the truck on those 2 connectors to correct the airbag light?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The yellow plug needs to have a resistor plugged into it to "trick" the ECU into thinking there is an actual airbag attached. Go to the jy and snag one from an Explorer and plug it into the the yellow harness.

The yellow plug needs to have a resistor plugged into it to "trick" the ECU into thinking there is an actual airbag attached. Go to the jy and snag one from an Explorer and plug it into the the yellow harness.

Jimmy, thanks. Assume I go to the JY and pull a yellow plug coming from a seat. I assume I cut it off? Is the resistor IN that yellow plug? If not, after I plug it into the truck, how does the truck know anything is connected????

Yes, the little yellow plug that should be attached to the underside of the seat has the resistor in it. Plug that into your yellow harness and done.

Ninja Edit:
ExplorerAirBagLight001_1.jpg

Look for the yellow resister housing under the seat.

Jimmy, thanks again, I;m off to track one down.

Hey Jimmy:

Seems you've got his issue down pat. I have 00 Explorer with the same issue but inadvertently removed both connectors and spliced wires straight through not knowing there was a resistor in the connector (got tired of constantly addressing those SRS 36, 37 codes.) Short of going to a junk yard to find these parts, do you know what type of resistor (ohms) it is and whether I can make a wiring connector hack from parts purchased from Radio Shack? I think I discarded those darned faulty connectors a while back :-(

Back