• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer 4x4 wont engage

FMBone

Reaction score
City, State
Oakville, Ct.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
My 2000 explorer's 4x4 wont engage. The 4wd Hi and 4wd lo lights flashed for a time once, and has'nt done it since. Can hear differential engaging when putting it into 4lo, but that is all that I get. Both indicator lights are working properly. Put truck on the computer scanner and came up with nothing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you hear a click when you put in 4Hi? Then, with it in neutral with foot on the brake turn to 4Low, you hear another click and/or a clunk? If you hear that 4Low clunk, then the 4x4 should be engaged. How have you confirmed it is not in 4low when you have heard the noise?

When you turn the truck on, do either of the 4x4 lights light up?

Don't hear click when putting it in 4 hi only hear clunk when putting it in 4lo. Confirmed it is not in 4 lo by trying it on slippery snow covered driveway, only right rear wheel spins. I am afraid something is going to get damaged in the auto 4wd if I drive it this way.How much for the skins?

when you got it scanned, did you make sure that the scanner can read the 4x4 trouble codes? not every scanner can read those.

I just had the same problem and it was just a speed sensor on the transfer case. One bolt, two minutes work.

Do'nt know if scanner can read 4x4 codes, will have to find out. Are there more than one speed sensor, if there is which one do I change?How is the speed sensor related to the control trac system? Is a speed sensor a hard thing to get and about how much does one cost? I have found that in order to hear the clunk when I put it in 4 lo, I have to put the tranny in drive, switch to 4 lo then put it in neutral. When I switch to neutral is when I hear the clunk. Please help.

There are 2 speed sensors in the transfer case. One is sensing the speed of the front drive shaft one is sensing the speed of the rear driveshaft and when the GEM detects a speed differential (rear wheels spinning) the clutch in the xfer case engages and puts 50% on the front wheels.

Speed sensors you can only get at a Ford Dealer or fordpartsnetwork.com. Mine was for the front shaft and was $42.

But make sure you get the codes scanned with a scanner what can read the 4x4 codes.
If it gives you a lot of codes, have them reset it, drive around for a little bit and have them scan again. That reduced the 8codes I got to just one, which was the speed sensor...

Changed the front speed sensor and had no luck. I made sure the transfer case motor is working. Could it be the rear speed sensor, or is my transfer case shot?

Like Bandido said go get your codes pulled and go from there. If you just start replacing stuff you may spend a grand before you find the problem.

There are 2 hall effect (speed sensors) in the t-case ($45 ea.)
A VSS sensor in the rear dif. ($29)
An ABS/ speed sensor in each front hub ($34 ea)
The shift motor with it's lovely position sensors ($285)
Shift control relay ($89)
Torque on demand relay ($195)
GEM ($290)
and the switch on the dash ($65)

Any one of these could cause the symptoms you are describing. Please note that these are the prices as listed at my dealership. I am sure they vary from place to place, but it gives you a general idea of why yoyu should get those codes read. At a tranny shop it'll be $25-50. If your under warranty you may as well let Ford look at it.

Thanks for the info. Took it to a dealer today and they said it is more than likely my rear speed sensor. Changing it tommorrow and hopefully that will be it. Wish me luck. Let you know how I make out. :usa:

Changed transfer case

:D I wound up buying a used transfer case at my local junk yard. Paid $275.Swapped it out, and back in business. :thumbsup:

Back