2000 v6 explorer tachometer not working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 v6 explorer tachometer not working.

jared4885

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 and 2000 explorer
I have bought 5 explorers in the past year, two of which I still have. I have been able to solve many problems using this forum but now I'm stuck. I bought this 2000 explorer with a v6 and the tachometer isn't working, then the next day it works again. Now its not working again. It doesn't work at all. Stays on zero. The first place I want to start is to figure out if the gauge itself is bad or if its not getting signal. I read in a different thread that pin 15 (tan/yellow) wire is for the tach. My question is what readings should that pin be putting out around idle, 700 rpms or so? How many volts, amps, ohms, what should I be reading and how many with the engine running at idle? If I can confirm the pcm is sending the signal then I'll take my chances on replacing the cluster.

Well, I have a parts explorer so I switched the instrament cluster to see if that was the problem. I just pluged in the three wire plugs in the back, didn't put it all back together. Started it up and the tach worked just fine. Now the old cluster has 140k the new cluster has 155k. there are little gold screws around the edge of the cluster that takes the clear plastic cover off. Then the right and left side of the cluster prys off. Then finally the speedo and tach gauges pry out. Don't force em. use two screwdrivers and work your way around the edges.... be patient. ok, you are almost there. Since I didn't know if the gauge it self was bad or the circuit board where the wires plug into I decided to swap the miles gauge with 140 onto the cluster with 155k. I could have just swaped the tach from the 155k to the 140k. There are three screws on the back that lets the gauge come out. One final step is to pry the speedo gauge needle (white needle that points to the mph) apart. Use two screw drivers on opposite sides and be very careful with this part. The black cap in the middle can pop off. It goes back on but its not as secure once its been off. Switch the the broken parts. Put it back in the vechicle and plug in the three wires. DO NOT PUT IT BACK TOGETHER ANY FARTHER. Leave the needle off. Turn the key on and put the needle on at 0 with the key on. Take it for a short drive and check for accuracy. The needle goes back on in any spot you put it and does not reset it self. I had to take the needle on and off 5 times before I got it right. If at all possible just get a cluster with the right miles so you won't have to **** with this. It was very frustrating and time consuming. Once you get the gauge right then put the clear plastic piece back on and put everything back together. If you have any questions... email me.

PS. no I could not just turn the miles to 140 and not have to take the needle off. I tried. Maybe it is possible to take the part apart and do it but it seemed easier to do what I did. What I wrote may not make sense but once you start taking it apart it will.

Back