• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac 4WD Not Working

IanCaz

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLS
I discovered the other day that my 4WD on my Automatic 2001 Sport trac isn't working. When I turn my key to on, the 4WD lights do not light up.

I've read the numerous threads on here about possible problems with the 4WD ECM, so I:
* Checked all the fuses (engine & passenger) & they all appear to be fine.
* Threw a volt meter on Fuse #35 , which powers the 4x4 Module & got ~12v going across the fuse.
* Tried unplugging & plugging the connectors a couple times

None of these amazing tips didn't pay off, so I assumed my 4x4 ecm was bad & bought a replacement. After installing it, there is absolutely no change in my scenario. I was wondering if anyone had any more ideas before I take this to the dealer?

Okay, I hate to answer my own post, but I have some interesting information regarding my situation. I went ahead and took my Sport-Trac over to the dealer after not being able to diagnose the problem myself.

The mechanic noted that I had replaced the 4wd ecm (TM 101) & said that was a good thing, since they likely would have replaced that first as well. After another hour of diagnostic work, he located a "hidden fuse box" behind the same kick panel, right by the 4x4 module. In here, there was a blown fuse that was causing the problem. I say "hidden" because it isn't called out in the owners manual & he said the fuses were called out in the schematic, but it obviously doesn't show where in the truck they're located.

On a side-note, my horn & cruise controls weren't working either before replacing this fuse & now they're working.

Awesome, thanks for updating your problem post with the solution. This is really helpful for others that may have the same problem in the future. What did the dealer charge you to find/fix this fuse?

Hey Ian...question for you. Did you hear your module clicking on and off when you cycled your 4wd module ?

Back