• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport trac 5.0

Sportrac50

Reaction score
City, State
Interlachen Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
Hey guys new here. My name is Matthew Hewitt. I have a 2001 sport trac and I was reading through the forum and seen a guy who put a 5.0 in his sport trac. I also have a 1996 explorer with the 5.0L and wanting to swap it into my sport trac. What is all needed to do this as I have the whole donor explorer side by side?? Any info would help guys thanks. Love reading everyones post on here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your Sport Trac an early or late model 2001 was it built before or after 7/23/00 if before it's a Job1 if after its a Job2 and there will be some differences to the swap. The 96 Explorer didn't have PATS so no issues there, but 96 was a return fuel system, where as the 01 early/late was returnless. Member ttbit swapped a 96 drivetrain into his early 2001 Sport Trac so he may be of some help. Since you have the complete donor it shouldn't be to hard, just a matter of wiring, and a few parts swapped over.

My ST was after So job 2. Thanks plan on getting into it in tthe morning. Thanks for the info

The main 2 wiring connectors you will have to deal with are C110 and C139 on your Trac, the 96 C115 and C125 will be different, just a matter of swapping some wires. You will also have to modify the alternator harness to the battery junction box I believe, and if your keeping AC may need to extend the wires to the high pressure switch.I know the wires for the C110 and C139 of the Trac but not sure about the 96 connectors.

I can tell you for the 01 Job2 Sport Trac C110 since the 96 Explorer don't have PATS you wont need the PATS E wires in C110, Pin-13 WH/LG circuit 1215 (TX signal), Pin-23 DB/LG circuit 343 (Anti-Theft light), Pin-28 DB/OG circuit 325 (Starter relay control), Pin-32 GY/OG circuit 1216 (RX signal), you can remove those. You may though need to take Pin-28 and ground it because it goes to the starter relay, and for late 01 PATS E the starter relay was grounded through the PCM, but early 01 PATS B it was grounded through the PATS B module on the Sport Trac.

Also on the 96 Explorer C115 connector if you happen to run into a LB/PK wire circuit 305 (fuel flow input to message center) and or a OG/BK wire circuit 394 (air suspension) you won't need either of those.

You should be alright with the VSS signal since I believe the 96 gets its signal from the sensor on the transfer case, ttbit may be of some help on the 96 wiring.

sport trac 5.0

Instead of going with the 96 I found a 2001 explorer v8
Now that I have it all installed in my trac now it won't turn over. Got power to the truck
But eont turn over nothing fuel pump runs but nothing when I turn the key. Tried to jump thr starter and nothing. No power to the starter. Any help plaese??

Did you check all the wires in the C110 to C115 connector, and the C125 to C139 connector? Your Sport Trac has Pats E which the starter relay was grounded by the PCM, but the Explorer has Pats B, which the starter relay is grounded normally. The first diagram below shows you the Sport Trac's starter diagram, notice Pin 86 on the starter relay going to the PCM. The 2nd diagram is for the Explorer 5.0 notice again Pin 86 is grounded, not going to the PCM.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=71563

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=28848

Did you turn off Pats in the Explorer 5.0 PCM ? If not you will have to wire in the Explorer Pats B Transceiver, Pats B module, and use the Explorer's keys to start your truck, otherwise even if the starter relay is grounded, it will just crank an crank but not run, since the Explorer Pats B controls the fuel delivery to the engine.

Ok I'm dumb here. I just used the engine harness from the 5.0 and computer. Then my connector into the 5.0 harness. Was I not supposed to do that. I have power to the truck but when I turn the key nothing. I hear the fuel pump run clicking noise ehen I try to start it. Its like the battery is dead. I don't know what connectors are you talking about. Sorry to be a pain but I just don't know. Do you have a pic of these connectors your talkibg about?
Thsnks for all the help

Can you just bypass the pats system?

Can you just bypass the pats system?

No there is wiring differences between the connectors. The only way to bypass Pats is to have it turned off in the PCM, otherwise you will have to install the Pats B system from the Explorer into the Sport Trac which means more rewiring. The Sport Trac C110 connector has a few mismatch wires with the Explorer C115 connector, and also the alternator harness is different between the Explorer's C125 and the Sport Trac's C139. I do have some notes and diagrams though I could send. Your speedometer also will not work without the Explorer ABS module and G-Switch for the VSS signal, and your tachometer will not read correctly, you will need to move a ground wire from 1 connector to another behind the instrument cluster.

I do have notes and diagrams though for the swap that cover pretty much everything you need to know, I been saving I could share with you.

Ok great thanks any help would be great. My email is mshewitt@windstream.net
Thanks maybe the diagrams snd notes will help me get this fired up.
Once again thanks. Just email them to me.

I will send you an email.

I sent you an email Ill be sending another soon.

No there is wiring differences between the connectors. The only way to bypass Pats is to have it turned off in the PCM, otherwise you will have to install the Pats B system from the Explorer into the Sport Trac which means more rewiring. The Sport Trac C110 connector has a few mismatch wires with the Explorer C115 connector, and also the alternator harness is different between the Explorer's C125 and the Sport Trac's C139. I do have some notes and diagrams though I could send. Your speedometer also will not work without the Explorer ABS module and G-Switch for the VSS signal, and your tachometer will not read correctly, you will need to move a ground wire from 1 connector to another behind the instrument cluster.

I do have notes and diagrams though for the swap that cover pretty much everything you need to know, I been saving I could share with you.
Any chance you still have this info? Here's my email if you do agarcia1833@gmail.com

Back