• Register Today It's free!

2002 4.6L Fast Idle

Soupdaddy

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie
The car starts fine and idles at 1500rpm (used to idle at 800rpm). In gear it idles at 1000rpm. I have to basically power brake the car to stop and it makes a hard down shift just before stopping.

I have checked for vacuum leaks, but cannot find any. The car has just rolled 100K miles. I have had similiar problems in the past, but was corrected with a computer reset (pull neg cable from battery). There are no codes showing. I have had no luck finding any info, any hints are appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what was the problem when your car wouldn't idle high when started?

The car starts fine and idles at 1500rpm (used to idle at 800rpm). In gear it idles at 1000rpm. I have to basically power brake the car to stop and it makes a hard down shift just before stopping.

I have checked for vacuum leaks, but cannot find any. The car has just rolled 100K miles. I have had similiar problems in the past, but was corrected with a computer reset (pull neg cable from battery). There are no codes showing. I have had no luck finding any info, any hints are appreciated.

I had this problem but I disconnected my battery and it went away and hasn't came back. Maybe its the throttle control sensor. Thats what my mechanic thought it was until he disconnected my battery.

The explorer starts fine. But once started it idles fast at 1500rpm.

time to pull out some brake cleaner/electrical cleaner and start with sensors? MAF, IAC, TB?

any codes or have you done anything recently to your X

No codes as mentioned in my original post. I haven't had any work done on the X lately. I will try and clean up the sensors.

My 02 Eddie Bauer is doing this exact thing now. Did cleaning the components work to fix it?

Hi all. I know this thread is pretty old, but I am having this exact issue (same as OP's description) with my 2002 XLT (115K miles). Has anyone had luck with cleaning sensors or throttle body to resolve this? Any info or updates much appreciated!

Planning to check for damaged/disconnected vac hoses first, and will also check for cracks in the intake duct.

If it comes to cleaning TB and/or MAF sensor, what solvents/methods would the board recommend?

Finally, does an '02 XLT have an IAC? From other reading here, I thought the electronic throttle control served dual purpose as throttle position sensor and intake air control on these vehicles.

I use these CRC products for cleaning MAF and TB. - link

Back