2002 Ford sport trac 4X4, starting problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford sport trac 4X4, starting problem

punkincycle

Reaction score
City, State
Louisburg,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford sport trac
Hello every one. I'm new to this site and I have a question. I have 2002 Ford sport trac 4X4,that the starter won't turn the engine. I have replaced the battery. But when I turn the key to the start position nothing happens, except, you can hear a relay click in the black box under the hood, but NOT the starter solenoid. I have checked the fuseable links in the wire going from the battery to the starter, and they are ok. This being a 4X4, there is limited space around the starter for checking the connections. Any one with a similar problem? What all has to be removed to get to the starter. Thanks.

Check for corroded battery cables at the battery connection and the starter. Not just the terminals, but the cable itself, including both ends of the negative cable.

I had a similar issue (new battery, no start), and it turned out to be corrosion inside the cable at the battery end of the positive cable.

Thanks BOBMBX, I did check the cables and they seemed to be in good condition. I have unbolted the starter from the engine, and after removing the front drive shaft, I am unable to remove the starter. I have removed the wires to the solenoid . Does the solenoid have to be removed so that the starter can come between the transfer case
and the engine??? I guess this would be a good time to check continuity on all the wires. Is there a fuse some where that could cause the flow of current not to reach the starter??? I have had this truck about six months, but there wasn't an owner's manual
with it and I have no way of checking what fuse is for what. Most vehicles have a listing
inside the cover telling which fuse goes to each function. This cover doesn't. Thanks for all the help any one can give me. OH I forgot to mention that I replaced the battery with a used one that I had and had charged it up fully. But after sitting overnight for a few days I had to jump start the truck. It started but the battery wouldn't hold a charge
and after jumping three or fore times it wouldn't turn the engine. That is win I removed the battery from another vehicle I had that started and ran good and installed it in the sport trac. It would not make any noise at the starter, win the switch key was turned to start position.

With the starter removed try having someone turn the key and see if you get any voltage to the hot wire for the starter solenoid. You should see roughly the same voltage that you get when measuring at the battery posts. If not then I would start looking for where you're losing voltage

Back