• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ranger coil spring removal ?

TracyM

Reaction score
City, State
Chino Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger
I have removed and replaced front coil springs before. Just Not any Ranger.
Few things I like to know before I start. I know first thing to go is the shock. But then does the spring have to be compressed with a tool. The trucks I have done. I just put the truck on jack stands. Jacked up the lower A-frame,unbolted the ball joint the slowly release the spring pressure by lowering the floor jack. And the spring falls out, with a little tug . I just wondered if the 2002 Ranger was the same.
THANKS !

I have removed and replaced front coil springs before. Just Not any Ranger.
Few things I like to know before I start. I know first thing to go is the shock. But then does the spring have to be compressed with a tool. The trucks I have done. I just put the truck on jack stands. Jacked up the lower A-frame,unbolted the ball joint the slowly release the spring pressure by lowering the floor jack. And the spring falls out, with a little tug . I just wondered if the 2002 Ranger was the same.
THANKS !
The procedure is pretty much the same on an A-arm Ranger as the other vehicle you did, but Ranger springs are a tight fit, and although I've pulled Ranger springs without a spring compressor, it's a hundred times easier (and less dangerous) with a compressor, which as you probably already know you can rent pretty cheap at a parts store.

The spindle assembly kind of gets in the way when pulling the springs, so if you don't want to remove the spindle then what I did was to rig a rope over the fender and tied one end to something sturdy under the hood and the other end to the spindle and then pulled the spindle as far up as I could get it, which kept the spindle out of the way.

Back