• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ranger Edge tranny fluid

George W

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4X4
I have 116,500 miles on my 2002 Edge 4X4 Ranger it has the 5 speed auto tranny with a dipstick.. I am thinking about pumping out some ATF with a vacuum pump from the tranny dipstick fill tube.. How much does the tranny pan hold? The manual only give me the dry fill amount 10qts.. I am just trying to avoid dropping the pan right now but would like to freshen up the fluid some.. I was thinking about pumping out what's in the pan every 3000 miles till it looks better to me.. I have no tranny issues at the moment.. Just thinking this method should do some good.. What do you guy's think? I just want to do some good without spending the $$$ all at once right now.. Thanks!! George

Please help!! Tranny fluid change..

Any one? I would like to get started on this.. What Brand fluid should I use. Would Valvoline in Mecron-V be a good choice? Would how I wanted to change it be any good at all? I do have a tranny cooler right in front of the radiator that has two small hose clamps on it.. What on do I pull off and but in a empty bucket. Do I need to take of the other cooler like and block it.. With 116,500 miles in it now I thing I would get some more life out of the tranny if I change the fluid.. I just did the power steering.. If the other way I mentioned would work I would rather go with that do to money or lack of it.. George

I have 116,500 miles on my 2002 Edge 4X4 Ranger it has the 5 speed auto tranny with a dipstick.. I am thinking about pumping out some ATF with a vacuum pump from the tranny dipstick fill tube.. How much does the tranny pan hold? The manual only give me the dry fill amount 10qts.. I am just trying to avoid dropping the pan right now but would like to freshen up the fluid some.. I was thinking about pumping out what's in the pan every 3000 miles till it looks better to me.. I have no tranny issues at the moment.. Just thinking this method should do some good.. What do you guy's think? I just want to do some good without spending the $$$ all at once right now.. Thanks!! George

You could go with the Vavoline Mercon V ATF - Valvoline states it's a full synthetic although it's flash point is lower than some other high quality full synthetic Mercon V ATF's such as Schaeffer's ALL-Tran (190C for Valvoline vs. 218C for Schaeffer's).

If you are going to do a full or large fluid exchange through the cooling lines and not drop the pan and change the filter you may run into issues with the transmission. The new fluid will have a fully recharged load of detergents which will remove some built up deposits in the transmission. Since the old filter has been in the trans for the full 116,500 miles it is likely near or at capacity. The newly removed deposits may be of such a great volume that they cause blockage of the dirty filter reducing flow and pressure to below acceptable limits.

For a first fluid change at 116,500 miles it is a really good idea to drop the pan, change the filter and clean the pan. That's my advice!

Rumple

Some help please.!2002 4.0L 5 speed automatic Best brand ATF

I am about to change out the tranny fluid and do a flush on my truck and have been looking at the bottles and on some bottles of Mercon V I see it will say synthetic blend ATF.. What's the story? Is all Mercon V ATF a synthetic bland fluid? What's the best brand to get.. I have a QT of Castrol Mercon V and it does not say a thing if it's a synthetic bland or conventional fluid.. I always like Castrol products.. But now I wonder if I would be better off with another brand fluid.. I'll be doing a backyard full flush then after a 1000 or so more miles I'll do a filter and fill.. I have 116,800 miles on it now I am owner #2 and my guess it has never been changed before.. What's your call on this!! Thanks!! George

Back