2002 Ranger XLT Anti-theft lockout problem, no click no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ranger XLT Anti-theft lockout problem, no click no start

dylanrc63

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Ranger XLT
Two days ago I couldn't start my truck in the morning, no click, no crank, but power to dash/accessories. But was able to start truck on first attempt in the late afternoon that same day, which had been sunny. I chalked it up to moisture, and the next morning after an early a.m. rain shower I went out to leave for work and same thing, no click no start, but power to all accessories. There is a possibility I attempted to start the truck at some point using the wrong key, because sometimes I carry keys from a work vehicle with me. I can't remember clearly if or at what point in my hectic week that happened but it seems likely. Regardless, the theft light blinks whenever I try to start the truck, and I have the original keys with chips and one of two fobs that has a battery. The other fob needs a new batt. but that isn't likely a factor here. I have locked the car with the fob and opened it with the key, cycled the locks multiple times with the fob as well as locking and unlocking by hand. Service dept. at the dealership is saying about 350 bucks if they have to work on it, saying either the key(s) are bad, the receiver is bad, or the module is bad. I'm wondering if a computer reset won't help, or if anyone knows any other things to try either to reset or bypass the issue. I'm considering touching the negative cable to the positive to reset the computer. Any opinions? Gotta get to work on Monday!

Thanks,
D.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could try to unhook the battery for about 30 mins then re-hook it & try to see if the system re-sets itself. If not it will probably have to go to the dealer.

I just went through an issue with my F150 where I had power to all the accessories but no start.I would have to cycle the ignition switch back and forth numerous times and eventually it would start.It would only do it when it was cold.I figured the solenoid on the starter was sticking as you could hear the starter relay clicking when you turned the key.I replaced the solenoid and everything has been fine since.Any chance it is just a problem with your starter solenoid since you mentioned it started once later in the day?

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies. Apparently it's the receiver in the ignition that is not detecting the chip in the key or is not properly signaling the computer. Arm and leg to have the dealer fix but no options at this point.

Back