• Register Today It's free!

2003 explorer loud humming noise

Charecter1

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer
Alright so I'm having a problem with my 2003 Ford Explorer. I've recently noticed that when I get to above 40 mph, if my steering wheel is straight, I hear a loud kind of grinding or humming sound coming from my left driver side front. If I am going about 65 mph, it gets even louder and if I crank the steering wheel to the left, that's when it really gets noisy but as soon as I crank it to the right, the problems gone. When I do hear the humming sound, I can feel it in the steering wheel. I have replaced all of the tires and both front wheel bearings and it didn't help. Also, the car slightly pulls me to the right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well you are describing a bad wheel bearing.

Since you've replaced the front I would look to the rear ones. If it's loud when turning left it's the right side, if it's loud when turning right it's the left side.

The right pull may just be from the slight tilt to the right of most roads.

When was the last time your alignment was checked?

Well you are describing a bad wheel bearing.

Since you've replaced the front I would look to the rear ones. If it's loud when turning left it's the right side, if it's loud when turning right it's the left side.

The right pull may just be from the slight tilt to the right of most roads.

When was the last time your alignment was checked?

I don't know the last time it was checked. But I did notice on my long drive from Tuscon to Phoenix, the problem isn't really there until 50 mph and it gets the loudest between 65 and 70mph especially when you let off the gas.

I'm thinking rear wheel bearing.

But my sound is coming from the front left of the vehicle and I can feel the vibration under my feet and in the steering wheel

But my sound is coming from the front left of the vehicle and I can feel the vibration under my feet and in the steering wheel

Well I would say front wheel bearing first but you said you've replaced them. with Motorcraft or SKF I hope.

It says that moog is made in America

What? It says that exactly? That makes no sense.

1. As that site explains Moog is made all over the world, two orders of the exact same part number can come from different plants in different countries.

2. "America" is not specific. Can mean Canada, Mexico, Brazil, etc. All packages should say "Made in specific country"

The main point is the only trusted brands around here for front bearings are Motorcraft and SKF.

and since steering affects your noise the way you said I'm 95% sure that it's a wheel bearing. Which one, I don't know.

I'm having the same issue with my 2004, but the driveline roughness starts around 25 mph and gets worse as your speed increases. All wheel bearings front and rear have been replaced and it's still doing it. This all started last October and it sounded like it was the left front wheel bearing. Vibration in the steering wheel, drivers side foot well and seat can be felt too. My mechanic and I are completely perplexed by this thing and have no clue what it could be. The bearings that came off were indeed bad. I've got 113000 miles on it. If you and anyone else here get this figured out or know what's up here please let me know.

I'm having the same issue with my 2004, but the driveline roughness starts around 25 mph and gets worse as your speed increases. All wheel bearings front and rear have been replaced and it's still doing it. This all started last October and it sounded like it was the left front wheel bearing. Vibration in the steering wheel, drivers side foot well and seat can be felt too. My mechanic and I are completely perplexed by this thing and have no clue what it could be. The bearings that came off were indeed bad. I've got 113000 miles on it. If you and anyone else here get this figured out or know what's up here please let me know.

i am feeling like a bearing job is in order for my 04 Mounty but I went to check on my sawy bar bushings and they need have some play. I am starting there since they need to be done anyway. shake your bar see if there is play.

shake your driveshaft when you are down there

Back