2004 Eddie Bauer V8, AWD Transfer Case Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Eddie Bauer V8, AWD Transfer Case Problem

OldFart1951

Reaction score
City, State
Midland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, Eddie Bauer, AWD
Hello all. I have a cherry southern 2004 AWD, V8 Eddie Bauer edition with zero rust and in prime condition.
I am having some tightness with turning and am informed that the T-case is dying.
My first thought was change the fluid and maybe some Lubeguard. But I am told there is a viscous clutch in the T-case, and it is sealed, so my idea won't work.
Anyone have some feedback?
I was just watching some videos on YouTube that were recommending fluid exchange every 30 thousand miles!
I am at 195,000, so it's a bit too late.
Anyway, I thought I would ask you guys in the know.
Thank you in advance for your help.

A few days ago, I called 3 Ford dealers -- all about 60 miles away in different directions. I called about servicing my transmission which has 148k miles on it and has never been touched, and runs perfectly. One dealer said to change the tranny oil and filter at 150k miles -- the other two dealers said they recommend it every 60 miles. So I looked up service schedules and see that Ford recommends it at every 150K miles. Maybe one dealer was being honest, maybe the other two wanted to open my wallet (I don't need their help).

Try this for information on service schedule, if you don't already have one.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/04nmgmg5e.pdf

My AWD transfer case died just after 200k, almost same mileage as yours.
It had been slightly leaking for a long time before that, but I kept it topped up.
Same symptoms, binding in turns, but ok driving forward. It was expensive to repair.
Always use same size tires, and keep them rotated for even wear. Besides that, nothing lasts forever.

Concerning the transmission service schedule, yes, Ford recommends it at 150k, but that's nuts.
To keep your transmission happy, I'd change the fluid every 60K.

Back