2004 explorer no reverse no forward over 3rd gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 explorer no reverse no forward over 3rd gear

2004explorerguy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer xlt
Good Afternoon,

My explorer has 120K miles, was shifting like it should.
Normal highway driving, until after leaving a stop sign about a week ago.
I found it wouldn't go past 3rd gear, so pulled into a parking spot to look around for anything obvious.
Found out there was no reverse.
After a friend pushed me out of the spot, I could drive it home.
Before this...no warning signs...noises or clunks
o/d did come on, but no codes
I did a fluid and filter change, found nothing extra in the pan. The fluid was brown, no burnt smell. Magnet had fines covering it.
I pulled the solenoid block and went through checking it using the detailed walkthough on the site. The block passed all checks, including putting 12volts to the solenoids...they clicked.
I put it back together, fluid level is good.
Disconnected the battery for over 30 min before test drive
In drive it shifts up to 3rd and start revving up.
Manually, I can shift 1...2...3...drive before revving
Shifts into R, but no engagement felt..unlike D

I was going to adjust the bands...any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Its not going to be electrical or any kind of band adjustment, it should be capable of reverse without any electronics even connected. The fact that it revs after third gear tells us that the transmission shifted, the problem is that there is nothing there to hold. The direct clutch is used in forth and fifth gears and also for reverse.

The clutches in the drum could be bad or the lip seal on the piston in the drum could have failed. I have seen the center support crack and cause a hydraulic leak for the direct drum circuit. It should be easy to find but it will have to be removed and disassembled to get there.

Back