• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer Sport P2196

kapto

Reaction score
City, State
Western, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Exp Sport Trac XLT
Hi, I have 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT with 4.0. I have been having some issues with the motor not running quite right. I am getting P2196 code.
I have replaced the O2 sensors, changed spark plugs, spark plug wires, and ignition coil. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this issue.

Based on what this says, try cleaning or replacing the MAF and go leak hunting. Also check the injectors.

Code P2196 Definition
O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

What Does P2196 Mean?
Code P2196 is a result of the pre-catalytic converter oxygen sensor detecting a rich air to fuel ratio of the exhaust on bank 1. This ratio is sent to the ECM, which uses this data, along with comparisons to the outside air, to regulate the air to fuel ratio needed by the engine. This DTC code indicates that there is too much fuel in relation to the oxygen in your vehicle, or that the oxygen sensor is faulty and reading an incorrect air/fuel ratio.

What Are the Symptoms of Code P2196?
Check engine light
Low Engine Power
Excessive smoke from the exhaust
Lower fuel economy
What Is the Cause of Code P2196?
Frayed or broken oxygen sensor circuit wiring/connectors
Faulty oxygen sensor 1 bank 1
Dirty Mass Air Flow (MAF)
Vacuum leaks
Exhaust leaks
Fuel pressure too high
Leaking fuel injector
Malfunctioning ECM

Based on what this says, try cleaning or replacing the MAF and go leak hunting. Also check the injectors.

Code P2196 Definition
O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

What Does P2196 Mean?
Code P2196 is a result of the pre-catalytic converter oxygen sensor detecting a rich air to fuel ratio of the exhaust on bank 1. This ratio is sent to the ECM, which uses this data, along with comparisons to the outside air, to regulate the air to fuel ratio needed by the engine. This DTC code indicates that there is too much fuel in relation to the oxygen in your vehicle, or that the oxygen sensor is faulty and reading an incorrect air/fuel ratio.

What Are the Symptoms of Code P2196?
Check engine light
Low Engine Power
Excessive smoke from the exhaust
Lower fuel economy
What Is the Cause of Code P2196?
Frayed or broken oxygen sensor circuit wiring/connectors
Faulty oxygen sensor 1 bank 1
Dirty Mass Air Flow (MAF)
Vacuum leaks
Exhaust leaks
Fuel pressure too high
Leaking fuel injector
Malfunctioning ECM
great!!! may i also add potetially a faulty ECT reading! this had basically everything i wouldve said ;)

I have an 05 explorer xlt sport and none of the vacuum lines inspire confidence. Neither does the wiring for that matter. But the body/frame and interior are in good shape and it runs.

Best of luck.

Back