2006 6R60 transmission / torque converter issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 6R60 transmission / torque converter issue

V8Pete

Reaction score
City, State
Cupertino, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT 2WD V8
Recently, my '06 (bought new, meticulously maintained) with 130K miles has developed an issue where it goes in and out of TC lockup every second or two, at steady throttle around 1,500 rpm. Happens in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears. Fluid is original, but is clean, and most shops say not to change it. No trouble codes.

I've been told it's likely the torque converter or TC solenoid, but I'm hesitant to tear into it without more assurance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the fluid is original then change it. The fluid should have been changed around 30k miles ago (at 100k miles at the latest) if not before. Also, if the spark plugs are still original then those are way past due too and could also be causing part of the "lockup" issue. It is very rare to get a misfire code out of these engines since the plug has to be completely not firing to trigger a DTC.

Had exact same issue. Had a transmission shop drop the pan and change the filter. Problem hasn't resurfaced (knocking on wood right now).

If the fluid is original then change it. The fluid should have been changed around 30k miles ago (at 100k miles at the latest) if not before. Also, if the spark plugs are still original then those are way past due too and could also be causing part of the "lockup" issue. It is very rare to get a misfire code out of these engines since the plug has to be completely not firing to trigger a DTC.

Manual says to change at 150K under normal conditions. I pretty much never let it run out of lockup, so the fluid should be OK. Plugs were done at 75K. It's not a misfire; it's absolutely cycling in and out of lockup.

Had exact same issue. Had a transmission shop drop the pan and change the filter. Problem hasn't resurfaced (knocking on wood right now).

I may just have the fluid/filter changed for peace of mind.

Yes, you are right that the manual still calls for it to be changed at 150k (I must have been thinking of the plug maintenance mileage number) , however I have not heard of anyone that has come even close to that number before having issues that required the fluid and or filter to be changed well before that point. Just because a fluid looks okay doesn't mean that it is not degraded enough that it is no longer providing sufficient lubrication. With your vehicle being a 2wd that may have contributed to the additional mileage that you have successfully gotten out of it before having issues. Your cheapest fix right now is a fluid/filter change considering the mileage on the vehicle and it sounds like you are going that direction so good luck.

V8 Pete or anyone else have any update to the torque converter problems after the fluid change?

I'm looking for a up date on this issue my 06 is having the same issues and was going to have the fluid changed. to see if it will solve it.

My 07 4.6 was doing the "bumping" or rumble strip feeling between gears at around 40-60mph. The fluid and filter change has helped so far (knock on plastic)

Has been around 5 months since I had mine done (pan drop, change filter only) and no issues.

It's been 8 months for me and everything has been fine since.

Back