2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4.8L Triton V8 Transmission Fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4.8L Triton V8 Transmission Fluid

Anthony DS

Reaction score
City, State
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT V8
I own a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6L V8, and I can't find the transmission fluid fill port.

1- I have checked the engine bay and there is no dipstick.
2- The bottom of the transmission fluid pan has no bolts, other than the ones holding the edges to the transmission.
3- I have felt all over the sides and top of the transmission as far as I can reach, and cannot find a dipstick. I found the sensor cables that plug into the transmission, but not the port that should have a dipstick in it.
4- Yes, I checked the passenger AND driver side, and rubbed as far down as the drive shaft.

This hell vehicle doesn't follow the rules of the standard 06 explorer, it's NOT the Eddie Bauer- it is the 4.6L XLT TRITON V8. I can't find any guides online for this specific vehicle. Does anyone know where the transmission fluid fill hole is? A lot of the fluid's leaked out from the cooling line connection (bottom of the rad). I replaced the 2 connections, but I'm probably gonna blow a tran if I try and drive too much with so little fluid.

Watch this video from fordtechmakuloco. He has many excellent videos to help with a lot of issues.

Looks like the 'dipstick' is on the right side, almost at the forward end of the pan. Be careful of the hot exhaust very close to the fill port.
Also, the 2006-2008 6R60 transmission uses motorcraft Mercon SP fluid.

Watch this video from fordtechmakuloco. He has many excellent videos to help with a lot of issues.

Looks like the 'dipstick' is on the right side, almost at the forward end of the pan. Be careful of the hot exhaust very close to the fill port.
Also, the 2006-2008 6R60 transmission uses motorcraft Mercon SP fluid.

Absolute unit, mate. I'll admit, I never thought of looking up the specific transmission model- thanks a million

WOW... I just have to shake my head when I see things like this. Anything to save $$ and force the consumer to go to the dealer or a shop..

Back