2014 Limited - Brake Pedal not Returning to Correct Height? Or Brake Light Switch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Limited - Brake Pedal not Returning to Correct Height? Or Brake Light Switch?

kevinds

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Looking for confirmation on what is causing my brake lights to stay on..

After an emergency braking event my brake lights are on most of the time.. Yes, usually the brake switch needs to be replaced..

However if I pull up on the brake pedal, the lights go out and (usually) stay out..

When I pull up on the pedal it moves slightly, maybe 1/4", fixing the problem. When I stop driving, using my foot to lift up from under the pedal, the lights usually stay off..

When actively driving, doing the same thing allows me to use cruise and it stays working until I need to use the brake and sometimes a bump in the road..

So, I am wondering where to look for this issue.. Is the switch faulty or is something going on with the pedal that it isn't rising enough?

My low-tech thought to solving this is a bungee cord to apply constant upward force on the pedal or taking or adding a few mm to the switch piston.. ;)

Lastly, I tried to pull the switch out but it seems stuck? I can turn it 1/8th of a turn clockwise but the switch doesn't release, it also doesn't appear to be the colours of the OEM part, so not sure if this is a side effect of it being an after-market part or not.. I am concerned I may need to break the switch to get it out. Moving the switch around, banging it, had no effect on the situation, which is why I believe the switch is not at fault.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I take it that you are not the original owner? This is the first time I can recall reading about this particular problem I haven't actually ever looked at how the brake pedal works/connects so I really don't have an answer. I did look up and found this but it may not be anything to do with the issue.
Hopefully, a member more familiar with this can jump in.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I take it that you are not the original owner? This is the first time I can recall reading about this particular problem I haven't actually ever looked at how the brake pedal works/connects so I really don't have an answer.

No I am not and I regret buying it, but it is what it is..

But this particular issue is annoying and now that the weather is nicer, I'd like to fix it.

Thank you for your reply, I will take a look at that.

Back