2017 Explorer Sport - AC drain Excess Water/Condensation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport - AC drain Excess Water/Condensation

MJslasherADMIN

Reaction score
City, State
Farmersville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
My wife's 2017 expo has 70k miles. We bought it new. The AC stopped kicking on over the summer. I looked at it and knew it was the ac clutch and compressor. Thats a pretty big job on this model year so I took it to Ford. They replaced the parts and it fixed the AC.

A few days ago I noticed my garage floor always has water in it lately. Like a lot of water. So today I checked under her car and the ac drain plug pours water. When you start the engine, then turn on the ac it dumps water for 2 seconds. I bet its at least 4oz of water in one shot. Then it slows down but afterwards its a constant stream of water. Many drips at once.

What in the world could be causing this? I have been under the car all day trying to solve it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife's 2017 expo has 70k miles. We bought it new. The AC stopped kicking on over the summer. I looked at it and knew it was the ac clutch and compressor. Thats a pretty big job on this model year so I took it to Ford. They replaced the parts and it fixed the AC.

A few days ago I noticed my garage floor always has water in it lately. Like a lot of water. So today I checked under her car and the ac drain plug pours water. When you start the engine, then turn on the ac it dumps water for 2 seconds. I bet its at least 4oz of water in one shot. Then it slows down but afterwards its a constant stream of water. Many drips at once.

What in the world could be causing this? I have been under the car all day trying to solve it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bump - Sorry. Trying to solve it today.

If it is just condensation, don't worry about it.
I agree. But now that the volume of water is much heavier (5x more than at any time over the past 5 years). I understand how the AC system works and know that condensation output from the ac system is dictated by the humidity levels in the air. Im in TX and its very humid.

I will posted a short clip on You Tube showing the volume of water and linked to it below. My truck doesnt release this volume of water. Not sure why the explorer started. Sometimes its double this amount when you turn on the AC.

Any chance you've had rain or washed the car recently?

I wonder if water is getting trapped somewhere and when the AC is turned on, one of the flaps/doors in the HVAC unit opens and allows that water to get to the drain. If that's the case, the question would be why is it happening now and not before.

Back