2017 Explorer Sport Coolant Temperature Sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport Coolant Temperature Sensor?

victor.ruiz

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Hello,

I am new to the forum. Looking for information about my 2017 Explorer Sport. Having issues locating any information about where to find the coolant temperature sensor and if its worth trying to change at home? Any help/information will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Victor. :wave:
I had no luck finding where this is located by searching the forum. An Internet search also did not produce much useful info for the Explorer Sport.
Are you having issues with yours? Trouble code?

Peter

I saw that as well but wasn't sure if it applied to the Ecoboost engine/ Found several results for the Edge and Taurus.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Victor. :wave:
I had no luck finding where this is located by searching the forum. An Internet search also did not produce much useful info for the Explorer Sport.
Are you having issues with yours? Trouble code?

Peter
Thanks for the welcome. No codes but my Explorer does give me a coolant temp too high warning. I went to a few places and one of the things they always mention is this sensor, I purchased the sensor but I cant locate the sensor now, I have looked at different videos but different information on different videos. Are the Haynes repair manuals worth purchasing?

Honestly on these new cars.. not really.

This repair can be done in your driveway if you have mechanical skills and socket sets.

To be sure the sensor is bad it may be worth using a tool like ForScan to see if there are an underlying DTC present. This will be your cheapest place to start.

You will need some coolant thats already mixed and equal to whatever you are using now. You wont need much but some will be lost. The oem coolant is the ford orange.

The upper intake has to come off. The fuel rail may also have to come out but it just unbolts easily. Basically there is a big tube that sits between the heads and is fed from water pump to the back of the lower intake. The engine coolant sensor is plugged into this tube at front of engine. It should be very accessible with the intake removed. Theres about 12 bolts on the intake and the 2 coolant hoses on the back have to come off. Unbolt the thermostat housing and move it to the side. Careful undo the vacuum lines i think there are 3. I have some pics of the intake removal in my Signature when I did the water pump job.

Back