2017 PIU ignorant newbie questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 PIU ignorant newbie questions

Road1

Reaction score
City, State
Sparks, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 FPIU
2017 FPIU
I just got a 2017 FPIU, and have been glancing through here, which has added to my list of stupid questions.

It used to belong to the San Bernardino County (CA) Sheriff's Office, if that helps anyone pin it down.

It's in rode-hard-put-away-wet condition (a few minor dings and the liftback has a couple of big ones). The center console and related hardware are gone. I suspect that the AUX audio and USB ports were moved to a panel on the console, because they are hanging loose.

1) First question: There are also two plugs, also loose, where the lower dashboard (PIU style) had been. One 13 pins (blades) and the other 6 blades. Can someone tell me what these are for?

2) Related question, can I get a wiring diagram somewhere, covering the PIU?

3) Related-related question: Is there an upfitter's guide available?

4) I see references to Forscan, looked at their page, is there a particular USB/OBDII dongle to get/avoid, or will any of them work?

5) I have a little module marked hu5t-14g490-af, that says to replace if it's been dropped. What the heck is this thing?

6) Having paired my radio with phone and tablet, when I try to play an audio from an MP4 file or from YouTube, the track info comes up in the display, but there is no audio. Any idea why?

7) The one key that I got has no fob (or transponder). Is keyless entry an option, or am I likely to just need an appropriate fob?

8) I got an error message that said the (capless) fuel filler wasn't sealed. HUH?

9) There is no switch for the police idle, can I get it just by adding a switch, or do I just not have it?

10) Is there a common place for an undercover-type siren speaker to be mounted?

11) Are the hubcaps specific to the PIU, or will caps from the Crown Vic or Taurus work?

I guess this is enough for right now, thanks for any help you can give.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got a 2017 FPIU, and have been glancing through here, which has added to my list of stupid questions.

It used to belong to the San Bernardino County (CA) Sheriff's Office, if that helps anyone pin it down.

It's in rode-hard-put-away-wet condition (a few minor dings and the liftback has a couple of big ones). The center console and related hardware are gone. I suspect that the AUX audio and USB ports were moved to a panel on the console, because they are hanging loose.

1) First question: There are also two plugs, also loose, where the lower dashboard (PIU style) had been. One 13 pins (blades) and the other 6 blades. Can someone tell me what these are for?

2) Related question, can I get a wiring diagram somewhere, covering the PIU?

3) Related-related question: Is there an upfitter's guide available?

4) I see references to Forscan, looked at their page, is there a particular USB/OBDII dongle to get/avoid, or will any of them work?

5) I have a little module marked hu5t-14g490-af, that says to replace if it's been dropped. What the heck is this thing?

6) Having paired my radio with phone and tablet, when I try to play an audio from an MP4 file or from YouTube, the track info comes up in the display, but there is no audio. Any idea why?

7) The one key that I got has no fob (or transponder). Is keyless entry an option, or am I likely to just need an appropriate fob?

8) I got an error message that said the (capless) fuel filler wasn't sealed. HUH?

9) There is no switch for the police idle, can I get it just by adding a switch, or do I just not have it?

10) Is there a common place for an undercover-type siren speaker to be mounted?

11) Are the hubcaps specific to the PIU, or will caps from the Crown Vic or Taurus work?

I guess this is enough for right now, thanks for any help you can give.
4: no just any elm adapter usually, wired or bluetooth. at least in the 2nd gens
5: id be curious to know, but ince it wants to be replaced when dropped my guess would be some sort of yaw/compass something of that sort.
8: its been a while since i seen one, but i vaguely remember there being a flap or some sort. is that damaged? even hapless they still gotta seal one way or another.
10: usually its behind the bumper and or grille if there was no push bar

1) First question: There are also two plugs, also loose, where the lower dashboard (PIU style) had been. One 13 pins (blades) and the other 6 blades. Can someone tell me what these are for? Should be 14 and 6 for police uplifting. You can buy pigtails for those.

2) Related question, can I get a wiring diagram somewhere, covering the PIU? Download the up fitter;s guide. Search on-line, it's free.

3) Related-related question: Is there an upfitter's guide available? See above.

4) I see references to Forscan, looked at their page, is there a particular USB/OBDII dongle to get/avoid, or will any of them work? Use the one they recommend that automatically switches between speeds.

7) The one key that I got has no fob (or transponder). Is keyless entry an option, or am I likely to just need an appropriate fob? FPIU have no chip keys. Keyless entry was an option that yours probably didn't come with. Mine didn't either. You can buy the fobs, but need a dealer to program the code inside each fob to work with your vehicle.

9) There is no switch for the police idle, can I get it just by adding a switch, or do I just not have it? Need more than a switch.

10) Is there a common place for an undercover-type siren speaker to be mounted? Whelen makes a bracket that mounts to the driver's side frame rail behind the bumper

11) Are the hubcaps specific to the PIU, or will caps from the Crown Vic or Taurus work? Not the same. I think the sedan and utility share the same center cap.

1) First question: There are also two plugs, also loose, where the lower dashboard (PIU style) had been. One 13 pins (blades) and the other 6 blades. Can someone tell me what these are for? Should be 14 and 6 for police uplifting. You can buy pigtails for those.

2) Related question, can I get a wiring diagram somewhere, covering the PIU? Download the up fitter;s guide. Search on-line, it's free.

Thanks for responding!

Yes, that was a typo, the plug has 14 pins.

I looked and couldn't find the upfitter's guide, got a link?

Thanks, I look forward to poking through all of that info!

Thanks for responding!

Yes, that was a typo, the plug has 14 pins.

I looked and couldn't find the upfitter's guide, got a link?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Good luck with your project.

Peter

For the Police Secure Idle, you'll need a scan cable that's compatible with FORscan. I bought an OBDLink cable on Amazon for $80 and it works perfectly. You'll also need to register and get the trial for the programming option. Inside the programming options, you can enable Secure Idle as it's already there in the software, however...

You also need to buy the switch assembly. I got mine off eBay for about $40 iirc. It's part of the same assembly that sits with the headlights. I'd also recommend getting the hood switch while you're at it too so you can activate the alarm system.

5. REUSED PARTS 2015-19 Fits Ford Explorer Extended Power Control Module HU5T-14G490-AF HU5T14G490AF

6. Does the fm radio play?

8. It might not have a cap, but it obviously has to seal.
6)
I have the same issue. It can be summirized as in this post:

I have FM and AM radio playing, and bluetooth connection to phone works. Incoming calls show and all the options. It just so happens that no audio is playable from the phone. Nor calls, no blueooth music, nor aux audio (the cables are avaialble and a small box for usb,plugs, etccame with my vehicle). You can not here anything if is a phone made sound. I suspect there is a mute option in plce or something.
I thought maybe Forscan codes might help but I'm lost as to where to locate them. ACM module just shows Radio Mute in disabled and toggling that options makes no differene.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Just curious as to why the referenced post says "PIU has Sync 2 (Mylincoln Touch)? Explorers have MyFord Touch (MFT).
In any case, I don't have the answer you're seeking. Good luck.

Peter

Just curious as to why the referenced post says "PIU has Sync 2 (Mylincoln Touch)? Explorers have MyFord Touch (MFT).

Peter
...and the FPIUs only had a SYNC (as in SYNC "1") available. Nothing else appears in the factory order form.

Peter
Hello. Thanks for welcoming me!

It does have a Mylincoln Touch. It probably was adapted by a previous owner and not factory shipped that way. The system is very similar to Sync 2 as it can be seen in the video. When turning on, you can see the Lincoln logo itself. As in the video, no audio from phone to car works, Bluetooth connects but no audio out. Radio works and FM plays just fine. I can't justify to spend US$1000 on a sync3 if this is a programming fix or something.

1) First question: There are also two plugs, also loose, where the lower dashboard (PIU style) had been. One 13 pins (blades) and the other 6 blades. Can someone tell me what these are for? Should be 14 and 6 for police uplifting. You can buy pigtails for those
Where?

Back