2020 Explorer ST engine knocking after oil change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer ST engine knocking after oil change

ScottyG606

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Looking for some help identifying the possible issue here.. took my 2020 Explorer ST in for an oil change and it was returned with this noise coming from the top of the engine. Fuel injector seems to be moving in the same cadence as the noise, could it simply be a bad injector or something more serious?
Oil change was done by an authorized dealer. 70k on the vehicle.

Thanks for your input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2020 ST had bearing go inside the engine at 63k - ended up with a short block replacement. It started with a knocking noise that was pronounced during acceleration.... car went into limp mode 2 days later. Mine sounded more normal at idle than the video you played... but you asked if it could be something serious and it could be. Don't know how to diagnose what i had though, other than apparently the oil, despite being newly changed, was very dirty after it happened. Good luck and hope its not what i had.

Looking for some help identifying the possible cause here.. took my 2020 Explorer ST in for an oil change and it was returned with this noise coming from the top of the engine. Fuel injector seems to be moving in the same cadence as the noise, could it simply be a bad injector or something more serious?

Thanks for your input!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you checked the oil level? I can't say that I am able to hear it above the engine noise itself.

Peter

Oil level is in the hash, confirmed 6q of 5W-30 were added by the shop.

My 2020 ST had bearing go inside the engine at 63k - ended up with a short block replacement. It started with a knocking noise that was pronounced during acceleration.... car went into limp mode 2 days later. Mine sounded more normal at idle than the video you played... but you asked if it could be something serious and it could be. Don't know how to diagnose what i had though, other than apparently the oil, despite being newly changed, was very dirty after it happened. Good luck and hope its not what i had.
I'm hoping the shop by me will be able to diagnose but after hearing this I may get it towed instead of driving the 30 miles.
Do they know what caused the bearing to go?

I'm hoping the shop by me will be able to diagnose but after hearing this I may get it towed instead of driving the 30 miles.
Do they know what caused the bearing to go?
No they didn’t know… in the end I wasn’t to happy with the service at that dealer… great for 15 years then suddenly down hill…. I searched and couldn’t find any one with a similar engine issue and really think it was one in a milion…. But… Here’s my video… much more pronounced than anything I heard in yours…. Hope that helps you get it resolved.

Attachments

• My Movie 12-360p30.mov
    4.5 MB

Looking for some help identifying the possible issue here.. took my 2020 Explorer ST in for an oil change and it was returned with this noise coming from the top of the engine. Fuel injector seems to be moving in the same cadence as the noise, could it simply be a bad injector or something more serious?

Thanks for your input!

I'd ask the place that did the oil change.

well, the good news is they may be right (or at least you don't have what I had...). assuming you've driven it since your post, and it hasn't gotten worse / you haven't gotten any error codes etc then its DEFINITELY not what I had.

Back