2022 Platinum Tune To 2020 Platinum? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 Platinum Tune To 2020 Platinum?

mallthus

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
I’ve held off on tuning my 2020 Platinum until I’ve had it a full year and, hopefully, worked out any production related gremlins. That said, once I learned that the 2022 Platinum apparently has the same OEM tune (and Hp/torque numbers) as the ST, it dawned on me that there’s possibility an opportunity to simply flash the factory ST tune to the Platinum.

The question I ask here is this…has anyone had their dealer do this for them?

If so, were there any concerns from the dealer before doing it? Any issues with the tune once flashed?

Alternatively, anyone ask and get rejected? What rationale was given for not doing it?

Anyone with inside Ford knowledge as to whether this is feasible and/or “allowable” within Ford’s internal rules?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ve held off on tuning my 2020 Platinum until I’ve had it a full year and, hopefully, worked out any production related gremlins. That said, once I learned that the 2022 Platinum apparently has the same OEM tune (and Hp/torque numbers) as the ST, it dawned on me that there’s possibility an opportunity to simply flash the factory ST tune to the Platinum.

If so, were there any concerns from the dealer before doing it? Any issues with the tune once flashed?

Alternatively, anyone ask and get rejected? What rationale was given for not doing it?

Anyone with inside Ford knowledge as to whether this is feasible and/or “allowable” within Ford’s internal rules?
I don't think a dealer will do it mainly because of possible warranty implications.

Peter

I don't think a dealer will do it mainly because of possible warranty implications.

Peter
Yeah, that’s what I’m trying to get a real world handle on, rather than speculate about.

The thing is, mechanically, the ST and the Platinum have, tune aside, been identical since day one and, starting with MY22, even Ford have seen the light that detuning the Platinum and King Ranch was bad business without a reason. So the only potential warranty implication would be if there’s been some edict from Dearborn to not do it. There’s no mechanical rationale and any potential business rationale went out the window when they chose to have a single tune for the 3.0l engine.

Ford should do it out of good will. But they probably won't. It would be a freebie and they are not out to give freebies. I think it might be a good policy if owners want to pay the dealer labor charges to have the 2022 calibrations flashed, they should allow that. I always wondered why the top-spec ST/Plat/King Ranch didn't all come with max power. It certainly wouldn't sit well with me if I owned Plat/King Ranch. I'm glad they rectified it for 2022. Maybe call the Ford Customer Support for an inquiry. Ford Dealers won't even flash the latest calibrations for modules just because you want them and they are available. There has to be a problem that they would be correcting.

Ford won't do it in part because of emission rules and because of warranty implications.

Ford should do it out of good will. But they probably won't. It would be a freebie and they are not out to give freebies.
I guess the good news is that I developed a very good relationship with the Service Manager at my local dealership when some issues with fixing my infotainment stack got mishandled and almost tripped the buy back criteria.

I suppose my plan will be to bring up an “intermittent power loss”…wink, wink, nudge, nudge…when I bring it in for a trim issue week after next. 😂

Ford won't do it in part because of emission rules and because of warranty implications.
Yeah…no. There’s no emissions rules issues given that the ST tune meets standards and there’s no hardware differences. Warranty implications would be the only potential and even then would be an excuse, not a reason.

There’s no emissions rules issues given that the ST tune meets standards and there’s no hardware differences.
To be fair @1sicbronconut I’d totally agree with the emissions rules if we, in the US, measured and limited carbon output, as they do in Europe.

I've been a Ford technician for over 33 years and a senior master for 20 of those, if you think your dealership can or will program your PCM to a calibration that's not assigned to that vin number go for it but I've never seen a way to do it with Ford equipment. Not trying to start a fight over it but any dealership I've worked wouldn't even attempt it, we're not in the business to modify vehicles over what Ford approves of now if Ford came out with a SSM or TSB regarding it as an upgrade then it wouldn't be an issue.

I've been a Ford technician for over 33 years and a senior master for 20 of those, if you think your dealership can or will program your PCM to a calibration that's not assigned to that vin number go for it but I've never seen a way to do it with Ford equipment. Not trying to start a fight over it but any dealership I've worked wouldn't even attempt it, we're not in the business to modify vehicles over what Ford approves of now if Ford came out with a SSM or TSB regarding it as an upgrade then it wouldn't be an issue.
Totally get that. Thanks for that insight. It makes sense, even if I don’t like it.

Sorry if I was a bit snippy earlier. If my service guy said what you just said, I’d be cool with that. If he told me it was an emissions issue, I’d tell him not to bulls**t me. 😉

x2. I've never seen it done where they can download something that wasn't assigned to the VIN.

^^ +3 as I have an IDS subscription. Everything is programmed by vin. You can modify any other modules with as-built data except pcm/tcm.

It's possible, yes however no Ford dealer would be able to do this. Firmware can only be officially applied by Ford to the same model year/VIN, downgrading to a previous model year changes the part number and might lead to other issues if there were changes in the model year.

^^ +3 as I have an IDS subscription. Everything is programmed by vin. You can modify any other modules with as-built data except pcm/tcm.
Access to FDRS as well?? it's the newest not so greatest Ford idea it's all cloud based just curious if it's out for the general public to subscribe too.

Find someone who is proficient with HP tuning software, then copy a stock ST tune and graft it into your tune. That will get you around ford's restrictions, but if you are going to go that far, just get a custom tune from anyone and you will have more than a stock ST. Either option will cost you the same, so why not go for the custom route and get the most out of your explorer.

Access to FDRS as well?? it's the newest not so greatest Ford idea it's all cloud based just curious if it's out for the general public to subscribe too.
Yes sir it comes in a package for $900 a year. Use my vcm for IDS and my J box for FDRS. Used it the other day to program an apim on a 19 Expedition. Most of my stuff I use IDS though. I did find FDRS easier to figure out than I remember IDS to be honest.

Dont think thats the issue at all, its the same exact drivetrain as the ST and 22 KR/Platinum. There's no change in the exhaust, intake or anything in the engine.

Ford just wont do it because Ford... Want more power? Trade it in. Its a cash grab for them.

That's why you get an aftermarket tune, then you will have more power than a stock ST or a 22 KR/Plat. To hell with ford and their money hungry cash grab policies.

Yes sir it comes in a package for $900 a year. Use my vcm for IDS and my J box for FDRS. Used it the other day to program an apim on a 19 Expedition. Most of my stuff I use IDS though. I did find FDRS easier to figure out than I remember IDS to be honest.
FDRS seems to work quite well but it's kind of slow for a lot of things and you also have to have an internet connection to download tests so it's kind of a PITA if you're out test driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back