2wd to 4wd(i have searched!)

dude772

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mcmurray, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Sport Trac, 90 Ranger
ok so heres the story.

I have a 90 Ranger ex cab, and a 91 exploder. The rangers a project truck getting a 5.0L conversion from a 4.0L) and the explorers got a blown tranny.
The rangers a 2wd the explorer a 4wd.

Ive been told to do the 4wd conversion you need to swap the engine cross member, but according to a how to on this site you just put the ttb axles in.(http://www.explorer4x4.com/2wdto4wd.html)
doesn't say anything about a crossmember.

Thats my question. Do you have to swap the cross member as well or can you swap just the axles? because if that is the case, I would assume it works the other way for a 4wd to a 2wd conversion in which case i can make the explorer a 2wd and put the ranger transmission in it and sell it.

Other wise i also have a dana 44 I can swap in there that i got free with the explorer, but i wanted to axoid that for now since i would have to get it narrowed. Unless i can do that myself and it be relitively easy.

You must either swap the cross member or graft parts of it to the existing cross member.

Check this thread

You must either swap the cross member or graft parts of it to the existing cross member.

Check this thread

Perfect, thats all i need to know, looks like i'll be doing the dana 44 then, and taking apart both trannys to swap out the output shaft to put the 2wd into the 4wd... thanx

So what kindda placed could shorten my axel?

Back