4.0L V6 EFI smoking problems

HM.89

Reaction score
City, State
Bogotá
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XL EFI
Hello.

Im having problems with my 96 4.0L V6 explorer. I had to change the fuel injectors, now they're working fine (nice idle, the motor sounds and feels good) but after a while, at high RPMs it starts to smoke through the exhaust (there's no smoke in the front, just in the exhaust), at idle RPMs smoke disappears.

Reading some info, could be the PCV valve (I hope) or the compression rings (hope not).

Have anyone had a similar problem?

Greetings from Colombia.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What color is the smoke....white, dark blue-ish or black ?

That's oil getting into your combustion chamber, as you heard either bad rings, bad valve seals etc... I've heard a stuck PCV valve can cause this condition as well... hope that's it! Yours is on the drivers side valve cover ....not far from the end / firewall end...

OHV.jpg.jpg

That's oil getting into your combustion chamber, as you heard either bad rings, bad valve seals etc... I've heard a stuck PCV valve can cause this condition as well... hope that's it! Yours is on the drivers side valve cover ....not far from the end / firewall end...
Thanks! I'll test the PCV tomorrow and see what happens.

Posted pic after your response....

Update:

PCV was fine. The problem was an oil excess. Get drained 1/4gl and smoking stopped.

I'll make a compression test to discard cylinder problems.

Back