taxx

Make em say Ugh
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
4dr springs for a Mono Leaf - Urgent!

Tommorow I am swaping my mono leaf for the springs from a four door. From what I have read I assume it will make the ride and towing capacity better.

Here is my question...

I did some research on what everyone else has done and I wonder if anyone has taken the mono leaf and cut the eyes off it and put it under the top spring from the four door? Would this stiffen the ride and increase my tong wieght capacity or would it cause problems? Would it add lift or take away? Is it do-able?

Please help soon. I am taking the tools to it in the morning. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ignore my above request. Idecided to do the swap and go from there.

Saturday I installed my new (used) 4 leaf springs from a 4 dr in place of my mono piece of junk. I also installed extended shackles. And Oh my, what a difference! The back sits about 1.5 - 2 inches high than factory and about 3" higher than it was before (good old mono leaf sag). I compensated the front with a TT. I am really please with the quality of the new ride. No more saging in the rear and no more extreme rear sagging when I accelerate! I have a new found love for my X.

I realy owe some thanks to this web site for all the valuable info I got from it on how to do this. I will post some pics tonight so you can all see my new ride.

------------------------
1997 Sport - Black w/silver
2" TT and WAR Shackles
4dr leaf springs
32" BFGs
Yakima rack

LETS SEE SOME PICS.........

Originally posted by taxxman2k
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1738732&a=13377565

Here are some pics. (needs to be waxed) :)

Will post more to it later.

So i guess they fit just fine? I am going to swap my monleaf with a 4" lift trailmaster leaf pack and then do a 3"spindle lift up front and 1" torsion twist. I'm still hessitant to do just because I have 31's and don't want to spot to get larger tires. Another reason was I wasn't sure it was going to fit. Hope it turns out right.

-Ray

Yeah the leaves are actually of a 94. As far as the fit it was great. Just a little trouble lining it up. Just a tip: Jack the truck up by the frame so the leaves and the axle hang freely. If you have pressure on either it is hard to get them lined up.(go figure). Also if you have a hitch, either remove it or prepare for some awkward grinding.(not bad on the drivers side, but the exhaust gets in the way on the passanger side).

I am really enjoying the ride! Now I would just like to get some airbags or something similar to compensate for the left side "Explorer" sag!

Enjoy!!

Left wont sag if your tank is on E

:)

Taht was a good laugh! I will just have to figure out a way to run without gas. Maybe if I lived at the top of a hill... wait how would I get home?

That is what friends are for, and a couple of cases of your favorite beverage sitting at the top of the hill :)

Did u leave the the blocks or did u completely take them out and swapped the leafs?

One more thing. Do you have a picture?

I left the blocks on the old leaf. If I wanted more maybe when I found time id put a add a leaf in it. That would stiffen up the ride but I already thing the explorer rides soft. I dont have any pics of mine as of now. my truck is in the shop. some lady ran into me. but definately ill have pics up in the before after or whoops forum maybe next week.

Originally posted by soupbone
I left the blocks on the old leaf. If I wanted more maybe when I found time id put a add a leaf in it. That would stiffen up the ride but I already thing the explorer rides soft. I dont have any pics of mine as of now. my truck is in the shop. some lady ran into me. but definately ill have pics up in the before after or whoops forum maybe next week.

Wait. Did you use the blocks with the leaf pack or did you not? WAsn't sure wat you meant by leaving it with the old spring.

Sorry I didnt use them.

how much did the 4dr leaf packs cost and where did you get them? maybe a junkyard would be a good place to get them? hope it ain't hard to do, because I would like to do that too! Thanks! Looks good taxxman

Not hard to do at all if you have the right tools. Yes a junkyard is about the best place to go. I paid $55 each and was told anything from a 91 and up would fit!

$80 for a pair from a 97 4dr.

soupbone.. where did you get yours from? a junkyard also?

I got mine from Ray Lobato. His rig is in the registry. He lifted his 4dr and I use his spare parts. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back