4WD to AWD 4.0L Conversion Possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD to AWD 4.0L Conversion Possible?

K1ng0011

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L OHV 4x4 with a M50D 5 speed manual transmission. Is there an AWD transfer case that will bolt to the M50D? From what I have read my explorer should have a 4WD BW4405 transfer case. It looks like the AWD transfer cases that could work are the BW4404 or the BW4410. I am not very familiar with all of fords automatic/manual transmissions and how the transmission tail housing and output shafts differ between all of the different transmissions. I am hoping someone with more familiarity with for ford transmission family might be able to shed some light on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Aerostar had an AWD option. Look into that transfer case, the bolt patterns differ among the Explorer models by the trans. So the 302 AWD won't work because the back of the 4R70W trans has a different bolt pattern. The same with the BW4410, that only works on the early 5R55W and S models.

So dig into the AWD Aerostar, those had the 4.0 V6 and transmission.

I dig AWD in snow and ripping corners! There is no forced wheel spin in snow as you get with 4wd without a differential between the axles.
I put an Aerostar transfer case behind a supercharged 4.0 Ranger. I had to modify the front and rear drive shafts. I still have that transfer case and driveshafts.

Thank you both for the information. The AWD transfer case from the Aerostar seems to be called a dana 28 transfer case. It splits the power 30% to the front wheels and 70% to the rear wheels. Its full time AWD similar to a Subaru. This transfer case also has some additional sensors on it to feed an computer that would engage a clutch and the power split becomes 50% to the front and 50% to the rear wheels. Not something I will probably end up using. It looks like the M50D has an extra bolt hole which I circled in red below. I doubt that makes any difference but its seems like all of the other bolt holes would line up properly. It looks like the m50d output shaft and the input shaft for the dana 28 transfer case are both 25 spline. Blown having a complete setup transfer case, front, and rear driveshafts would be awesome but I don't think they would fit my 2 door explorer they would likely both have to be made shorter or longer. Other than the driveshafts it appears to me that this would bolt in. My explorer is a 1999 model year so the speedometer sensor is in the rear differential and not the transfer case. My year is also suppose to have a live front axle and should work with the AWD transfer case.

Dana 28 Transfer Case

1614222432740.png

M50D Transfer Case

1614223384300.png

M50D vs Dana 28 TC
1614224158115.png

Thank you both for the information. The AWD transfer case from the Aerostar seems to be called a dana 28 transfer case. It splits the power 30% to the front wheels and 70% to the rear wheels. Its full time AWD similar to a Subaru. This transfer case also has some additional sensors on it to feed an computer that would engage a clutch and the power split becomes 50% to the front and 50% to the rear wheels. Not something I will probably end up using. It looks like the M50D has an extra bolt hole which I circled in red below. I doubt that makes any difference but its seems like all of the other bolt holes would line up properly. It looks like the m50d output shaft and the input shaft for the dana 28 transfer case are both 25 spline. Blown having a complete setup transfer case, front, and rear driveshafts would be awesome but I don't think they would fit my 2 door explorer they would likely both have to be made shorter or longer. Other than the driveshafts it appears to me that this would bolt in. My explorer is a 1999 model year so the speedometer sensor is in the rear differential and not the transfer case. My year is also suppose to have a live front axle and should work with the AWD transfer case.

Dana 28 Transfer Case

View attachment 327902

M50D Transfer Case

View attachment 327905

M50D vs Dana 28 TC
View attachment 327906
Note the oil drain passage, which I have described endlessly in threads concerning fluid leakage between transmission and transfer case. A gasket is supposedly used to exclude excess dust from the cavity, but nonetheless that cavity vents it.

You found my Dana 28 swap thread on The Ranger Station..

It's been some time and I forgot. If you are in snow country camp or even run mild scenic dirt roads...................., I had a switch on the dash to be able to apply 12 volts to the clutch giving you that 50/50 split that might get you unstuck.

It looks like the transmission that blown had in his ranger was a 5R55E. I found some pictures of the mounting flange at the back of the transmission for the transfer case. It looks like its the same as the M50D. Are there any threads about the oil drain passage that IMP is referring to for the M50D that I could read over?

1614309576566.png

1614309600568.png

It's important that the rear trans seal is new, to keep excess fluid from getting out the trans.

Why not run a control trac 1354 and built a control trac stand alone controller
This would give you 4auto, 4x4 and 4low like the 99 explorer automatic transmission had (BW 44-05)

I am not sure why anyone would want to install a control trac t case from a true 2wd/4hi/4low unit unless you are ice racing (HAHAHA) but it is possible to convert TO control trac. Usually I delete the control trac and install a true 1354 case

Then you would just need a control trac t case from any 98-01 v6 explorer

Looking back here on EF you can find group of guys who built stand alone control trac controller including a custom printed circuit board you can make at home. I recently saw this thread when pursuing a control trac t case option for a v8 powered Mazda that does ice racing.

Back