4x4 pops in and out on my 02 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 pops in and out on my 02 Sport Trac

caseywan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 ST
My ST has done this since the day I bought it 2 years ago, but now that I have it lifted with some better tires, I really wanna go 4-wheelin.

I've always worked on my own vehicles (put a new motor in the ST last summer myself), but this is the first 4x4 vehicle I have ever owned or worked on, so I don't quite know all the in's and out's of a 4x4 system. But I've had my share of transmission torn down, so I'd feel pretty comfortable tearing into a transfer case

Here's what it does:

In 4 high or 4 low, when given anything more that very light throttle there is a loud "clunk" and it's no longer in 4x4. If there's very little load on the system it will stay in 4 and won't clunk, but the second I give a little bit more gas it clunks and pops out of 4. Sometimes, however, it will clunk a little bit lighter and still stay in 4 and clunk lightly here and there.

Sometimes after it clunks and pops out of 4, if I don't let off the gas right away I can here a rattling type sound - it sounds very similar to when somebody puts a car in park before it has completely stopped.

Here's the weird part though - I can put it in 4 high or 4 low and go ANYWHERE I want to in reverse with it staying in 4x4 and not clunking one bit. I can give it as much gas as I want to, spin all 4 tires, and put a large amount of load when going in reverse.

I dunno - like I said I don't know a whole lot about a 4x4 system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back