4X4 Wont disengage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4X4 Wont disengage

BillDo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 94 Explorer with the electronic push button 4X4. Last night I got stuck in the snow and pushed both the 4x4 and Low Range Buttons. Now its stuck and wont disengage by pushing the buttons. Even tried taking the fuse out to no avail. Any help please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you engage/disengage 4wd low with the vehicle in neutral? if you tried to disengage in gear it may be causing the issue. try putting the truck in neutral and disengage 4wd low first and then 4wd high. if this doesnt work get back at us

ok Im feeling stupid that was the issue thanks!

ok i have a 1991 explorer with a similar problem i put it in 4 wheel drive drove through some snowbanks parked it and went to work came out after work and started it the lights were off but i dident dissengage it now its stuck in 4 wheel drive i checked the fuses all good replaced the switch nothing any suggestions

if you hit the switch to turn it back on do the lights come on? cycle the switch from 4hi, to 4lo (while in neutral), and back to 2hi. then drive straight back for approximately 20 feet. if you still have this issue you will need to get under the truck, unbolt the shift motor from the transfer case, and see if the case is stuck in 4hi or 4lo. if you need help with the procedure search for transfer case shift motor and some threads will come up with pictures.

i have done all that except the last part taking the motor off which i have done on my other explorer but there are no lights indicating that it is locked in at all

it started working on its own today dont know what it was or why it did it but its good now

Back