• Register Today It's free!

5R55e Valve body gasket

VTOSS_Man

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB
Next week I'm planning on doing the valve body rebuild on my explorer.
I've got all of the recommended parts on order.
One thing that I couldn't find in the 5r55e rebuild diary is, do I need to order new valve body gaskets? Or do they come with the Ford TSB kit or the new separator plate?
(It's probably somewhere in the rebuild diary and I just missed it...That mother is up to 12 pages now!!! :eek: )

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The gaskets should be bonded on the separator plate. They were on my 99 Ex.

BillJ... you da man ! More excellent advice... see! I told you that you would be one more resident expert to help others. Good going.

And I agree... by 2000 they were doing bonded sep plate gaskets ... just buy the right plate and it should come with gaskets conded to it... they are black.

The gaskets should be bonded on the separator plate. They were on my 99 Ex.

Udate! First off, the gaskets are bonded to the separator plate.

Next, some background. My truck has 140000 km on it. I have changed the transmission fluid every 2-3 years in the past. For the last six months or so, my transmission had been shifting "funny". The shifts were often soft and late. I thought I might have had the 2-3 shift flare a few times. The fluid level was correct and had been changed approximately 25000 km earlier. The tranny seemed to be basically shifting inconsistently. Nothing horrendous mind you, it just didnt' seem to be "quite right". I decided that a fluid change and valve body rebuild was in order after reading the numerous threads posted on this site.

I did the valve body rebuild three days ago. The parts that I installed were;
- the Ford TSB kit,
- the new separator plate,
- the updated solenoid bracket,
- a new EPC solenoid,
- and of course new filter and fluid. (I needed 8 liters to top up my tranny)

Once I had everything apart, I discovered my old separator plate gasket had blown right beside the reverse servo. It looked identical to Kaiser's picture as posted on page 6 of the Diary.
rev.jpg

The valve body, solenoids, and pan were generally quite clean. I didn't find any other obvious problems.

I followed the directions in the stairway to the diary and the diary itself as closely as possible. I'm happy to report that everything went very smoothly! :) Excellent instructions guys!!!

The only thing I would add to the instructions is more emphasis that you need a BIIIIIIGGGG drip pan. I bought the biggest drain pan that I could find, but it still wasn't big enough to catch all of the drips. Big_billys idea of using a 50 gallon drum bottom would be ideal.

The final verdict is.....Success!!! My transmission now shifts smoothly and consistently!!! :)
Once again, a big THANK YOU to everyone who has posted instructions/information on how to do this job!!!

Another qualified instructor

Glad it went well. Now we have yet one more Board member who can offer knowledgeable advice on this repair!

Thanks for posting this! Some people that have never done this kind of work often get intimidated, and either want to buy an already rebuilt VB, or just have a shop do the whole job. This is an inspiration to anybody that wants to tackle this kind of job.

Separator plate part number

I called my local ford dealer about getting a new separator plate and they said it only comes with the whole valve body. This seems to be contrary to what everyone else has found. Does anyone have the actual part number or a link to where I can buy just a separator plate.

I called my local ford dealer about getting a new separator plate and they said it only comes with the whole valve body. This seems to be contrary to what everyone else has found. Does anyone have the actual part number or a link to where I can buy just a separator plate.

Hi stevovee,

Have you checked out http://www.fordparts.com? There's a live chat option where you can chat with our parts pros - they'll be able to steer you in the right direction. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I have the same experience: can't get the plate with the gaskets bonded from the dealer - can get individual gaskets. 5r55e trans on a 2000 explorer. i can get the valve TSR, which mentions the bonded gasket. what is the part number for the plate with bonded gaskets?

Back