• Register Today It's free!

8.8 31-28 spline part interchange

fordcj7

Reaction score
City, State
Western Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ranger XLT 4.0
I have an 8.8 from a 95 explorer. It is 31 spline with an open carrier. Also in my pile of parts is a 28 spline locker and axles. Now the question is. Can I use the 31 spline axle gears in the 28 spline carrier to be able to use the same 31 spline axles with a locker.

Thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to elaborate, it will not work because the hole in the side of the case is machined to support the axle slightly (it does not actually ride there but it can if there is axle load). You can install 28 spline side gears in a 31 spline case but the side gears tend to wear out faster due to the extra motion of the axle. Hawkrod

but then you would have to use 28 spline shafts.

Just to elaborate, it will not work because the hole in the side of the case is machined to support the axle slightly (it does not actually ride there but it can if there is axle load). You can install 28 spline side gears in a 31 spline case but the side gears tend to wear out faster due to the extra motion of the axle. Hawkrod

Ok I get that it is not good to do, but what about the 31 spline axles and sidegears in a 28 spline locker housing. Would this get me rolling till I find another ?

Thanks
photo_04.html

what locker is it? most dont have spider gears. so i would guess the spiders dont fit.

so its not a locker its a limetd slip. the side gears still wount work. if your 31 spline diff was an ls then it would work.

so its not a locker its a limetd slip. the side gears still wount work. if your 31 spline diff was an ls then it would work.
So what you are telling me four or five times "it won't work".:p: I think I get it now.

Thanks for the explanation (several times)

Fordcj7

As I noted above, it won't work because the hole in the side of the case is too small. You can put 28 spline gears in a 31 spline case as the hole is bigger so the axle with fit through the hole but if you put a 31 spline gear in a 28 spline case the hole in the case will be smaller than the diameter of the axle. Hawkrod

Back