Reaction score
City, State
Fuquay-Varina, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited 4x4
All,
Here is the situation:
I've replaced the lower hose, radiator cap, water pump; Had the radiator
flushed. I'm having this re-accuring drip on the bottom of the lower hose.
I'm wondering if I should just replace the radiator? If I do, does anybody have any suggestions for a smooth transfer? What should I do with the fan
gaurd?

Thanks any/all help,

Jaypbrian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trouble with drips is it's can be so hard to find where the actual leak is. Replacing the radiator might fix the drip, if the leak is in the radiator. If the drip is coming from somewhere else, it won't do a thing but drain your wallet. I would try to find where it's leaking at.
One thought, when you replaced the hose, did you replace the hose clamps? Depending on the style, I have seen some hose clamps that get so stretched out and tired that they won't seal the hose.

I replaced the hose clamps, have inspected the vehicle while it was running and at night with a flashlight ( at night is good because the light refletcs )
I figure if I replace the radiator and it is still leaking, at least it will have a new radiator, then maybee it will be good for another 175,000.......( the radiator )

My first suspicion is that your hose clamp is not tight enough.

Did you buy aircraft-style hose clamps? (the kind you tighten with a flathead screwdriver). I have found that aircraft-style clamps work much better than other types for rad hoses. You must make sure the clamp is very very tight. Tighter than you think it would have to be.

One thing you must know about OEM radiators is that they have internal tanks that are made of PLASTIC with seams. With 175,000 miles on the radiator, it is likely that the plastic tank is worn out. With that many heating/cooling cycles, the plastic warps and you'll get a drip leak under certain conditions. The plastic tanks can be re-crimped, but this, in my experience is a waste of money as re-crimping only lasts a short time.

If it is not a loose clamp, or something else causing your leak, and you determine it to be the radiator that's leaking, your best bet is to get a new radiator rather than have your old one re-crimped. 175,000 miles is good for a stock radiator; mine wore out at 90,000 miles/9 years.

if I tighten the hose clamps "too" tight, will it break the radiator?

Sometimes an old hose will allow some corrosion between its inner surface and the neck to which it's attached.

Did you clean the neck before installing the new hose?

That may be where the coolant is working its way out.

jaypbrian said:
if I tighten the hose clamps "too" tight, will it break the radiator?

I'd say, you would not be able to tighten the clamp that much--Unless you have stronger hands than me. I mean, there's no need to be excessive about it. Just make it as tight as you can without grunting like a cave-man.

Back