'93 X motor and transmission replacment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 X motor and transmission replacment

Xplorer92

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT/'00 Jeep Wrangler
I recently bought a '93 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 for $500, the only thing wrong with is some cracked heads. The whole truck has 215,000 miles on it but the body is in great shape so I decided that I'm going to take the 4.0 motor and automatic tranny out of my wrecked '94 Ranger and put them in the Explorer. The motor in the Ranger has only 36,000 miles on it and the tranny is a rebuilt Jasper with only around 100 miles on it. I have never taken on a car project of this magnatude other then when I put on my 2 lift kits on my '92 X and would appreciate any advice, on special tools I may need, heads up on removal and installation, is it a one man job or a two man job, etc. Thank You :)

hi, one man can take it out, but should have two to put back in. i would remove t-case first, then trans, then engine. only special tool you will need is the fuel line and a/c disconnect tool. pretty staight forward job. disconect everything and pull it out.

Back