'94 Ranger, A/C Not Working

aughtsix

Reaction score
City, State
NW Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
Hey all...

I have a 1994 Ranger, 2.3 OHC, 4 Cyl, Manual tranny. Tried to use my A/C the other day. No workee!! I live in GA. so it was a 70 degree day. I always try to cycle the A/C once a month at least, whether I use it or not. The vehicle has always had a really cold A/C output. I have had the vehicle for over 5 years and no problems with A/C till now.

The light on panel comes on, but the compressor/clutch is not turning. I tried jumpering from battery to compressor, no good. I know that on some, if not all, A/C units, if freon is low, it won't cycle. I had cycled the unit, maybe three weeks ago and all was fine.

Maybe bad electro-clutch?? If it turns out to be the clutch, can it be replaced on vehicle, using common hand tools or will compressor have to come of to replace clutch??

Thanks for any and all comments and/or suggestions!!

REfrigerant is probably too low to turn on the low pressure switch..

On the accumulator attached to the top side of the evaporator on the right side of the engine bay.. It's the black[usually] tall can looking device..There is a connector on that unit that you can disconnect and jumper to see if the compressor is functional..

But before you jumper the connector I would turn the compressor hub BY HAND to see if the compressor is not locked up or something..Turn the center of the compressor by hand with he engine off to see if the compressor does rotate.. If it does turn over then you can jumper the system and see if the clutch then pulls in and drives the compressor...

DO NOT RUN THE COMPRESSOR THAT WAY VERY LONG!!!!! You will burn the unit up since there is not enough oil flowing through the unit since the oil circulates through the system with the refrigerant flow..

If you don't have gauges. please either buy a good used set or find a friend with a set.. Before adding refrigerant you really need to find where the refrigerant came out.. Usually look for a spot on a hose with an oily film or oil/dirt buildup.. Reason being that you can't just put more refrigerant in without adding oil and expect the system to live very long..

If the clutch is bad yes you can replace just the clutch without distrubing the refrigerant system.. Just unbolt the compressor from the brackets and raise it up to remove the clutch..

Back