95 explorer odometer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 explorer odometer

Post number 4 has been selected as best answered.

smazz31

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
I took apart the cluster and found that the worm gear on the step motor was broken , all other gears were working fine .I replaced the worm gear and the odometer starting working fine for only about 4 months . Thinking it was a gear again ,I took the cluster out all gear were fine . I took the step motor out and manually moved the gears and all numbers were moving fine and the trip button works .Made sure the motor moves freely spins. I put the motor back in making sure it all lines up with the gear . looks good . Put it all back still nothing. The speedometer and all gauges are working ok. Any idea what can be the problem . I don't see anyone having problems with the step motor ,only with the gears .possible motor or maybe wiring . Like i said the firdt time I replaced the worm gear and it lasted 4 months and just stopped . Thanks if anyone can help .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow....I just noticed the exact same thing on my 95 yesterday.... replaced the worm gear a few months... was working great....glanced over at odometer yesterday and was sitting still.... speedometer works fine too etc....In my case it could be the motor now....

Wow....I just noticed the exact same thing on my 95 yesterday.... replaced the worm gear a few months... was working great....glanced over at odometer yesterday and was sitting still.... speedometer works fine too etc....In my case it could be the motor now....
I just Bought a cluster from a 95 explorer on eBay . My truck has 167,000 the cluster I bought has 187,000 . I am going to swap out the odometer Motor this weekend . Will let you know if that works .

FIXED! I replaced the odometer motor with the cluster I bought from EBay . Working fine now , it’s only been 4 days . So all is working trip and odometer. Should be your problem also EB4X . Hope it fixes your odometer.

Thanks for the update smazz! Yeah... I'll keep my eye on Ebay or get one at J.Y.....can find the worm gear all over internet no more motor though....oh well...

EM4X You will not find the motor by itself , that’s why I had to buy the cluster. Good luck.

Thanks for the update smazz! Yeah... I'll keep my eye on Ebay or get one at J.Y.....can find the worm gear all over internet no more motor though....oh well...
Can you give me a link for the worm gear because I don't see any now for my 2001 sport trac 4x2 automatic. TIA

Can you give me a link for the worm gear because I don't see any now for my 2001 sport trac 4x2 automatic. TIA
iirc theres many available on ebay but wjat is your factory size? iirc theres differnt sizes based on your factory tire and gear retio. or st lesst if im thinking of the right thing.

This might be one of those rare situations where there's misinformation about cross compatibility and the SAME part (worm gear in this case) works for for ALL second gens 95-2001 - as stated in this German link for one:

"Passend für:
alle Ford Explorer 1995 -2001

alle Ford Expedition 1996-1999 "

So going on this assumption this local / states supplier one "should / might" work

Back