95 Won't Start

ExplorerSportNu

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis - MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport/ExpeditionPkg
Well my 95 is DOD - dead on driveway, it will crank but won't actually start up, this just started happening recently and usually we would just disconnect the battery for a while to reset the computer and after about three tries it would start right up, not the case this morning just a whole lotta cranking and no starting after repeated attempts, this only seems to happen when the car sits over night and attempting to start it in the morning, any ideas guys so I can get going here?

Thanx for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get a BFH (big F#&kin hammer) and beat ur fuel tank pretty hard, not hard enough to dent it, but its just the skid plate so itll take a lot of abuse. anywho beat on it a few times and see if the truck starts. if it does, drive it straight to where u can drop the tank on it, cause its doubtfull shell start up again.

its an easy thing to try so id try that first, but, then u need to check if u got spark and fuel

Thor420:
I'm not attacking your response, but what good is beating on the tank going to do? What are you suggesting that will accomplish? Are you saying that something might be clogging the fuel supply in the tank and he should try to bang it free? Sounds like it's possible, could you elaborate please?
Again, I'm just trying to understand why you suggest to beat on the fuel tank....

1) When you turn on the truck, can you hear the whine of the fuel pump for about 2 seconds?

2) Sometimes banging on the tank "un-sticks" a failing fuel pump.

Problem solved, the fuel filter, and all I gotta say is thank GOD and knock on wood that solves it, cause thats a cheap fix :D Thanx for the help guys :chug:

reason i gave that idea, was if its a dead spot in the fuel pump motor, if u bump the motor it could slide off that dead spot and be able to start as normal. so best way to try and get the fuel pump motor to get a knock on the head is pound on the tank once or twice. this does not hurt anything as long as u dont go swinging as hard as u can, but **** it takes 1 minute to do it, and if it starts up, thats a prety good indication uv got to get the vehicle to somewhere u can work on the fuel pump asap.

I shoulda known better than to think that simple fix would cure my problem, story of my life here, well the truck ran fine for about 3 days then when stopping at a stop sign it just died, and I had to drive it giving it like 2-3 grand rpm to get it home and once there it would start but run real rough and die after a couple seconds, and now it will turn over but back to the original problem and DOD again, I still need to beat on the tank like you suggested, any other ideas what the hell this could be? :roll:

There have been many posts about Fuel pump or EEC relays failing latley.

HOLY HORSE NUTS for me changing the fuel pump is one of the hardest damn things I have ever done :confused: :confused: two damn days to change that thing but I think this solved my problem, thanx for the help v8, now that i'm finally done time to :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug:

Back