96 Aerostar XLT 4.0L AWD trouble code P0715. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Aerostar XLT 4.0L AWD trouble code P0715.

malonzo

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 aerostar xlt 4wd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check eng light came on while driving, checked code=P0715: input/turbine speed sensor, a ckt malfunction... does anyone know how to check it/ change it? where is it located, is it internal or external. Does the tranny need to be pulled out or is it accessible while in the vehicle. Is there a test I can do to verify if it is bad? I believe the tranny is 4R55e

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've moved your post into its own thread. This sensor is located inside of the transmission on the center support, and there is no way to reach it without removing the transmission, and dismantling everything. Check the external wiring from this sensor, since a bad connection could throw a trouble code.

96 Aerostar XLT 4.0L AWD trouble code P0715-sensor wiring pin out diagram.

Is there someone out there who has the schematic with the pin-out for the transmission connector which includes the turbine/input speed sensor circuit? I would like to check the wiring and/or speed sensor through the connector. What value will I be looking for the sensor, and where does this connect (control module pin out number/color code, so I can check)? Thanks in advance.... Help!!! I want my baby fixed.... 96 AWD 4.0L, XLT extended.

Received it and I am sure I can use it. Right now, I reset the check engine light and it has not came back yet, I have been driving the vehicle to and from work. Hopefully it's just bad connection/wiring. Otherwise, it looks it can be a very expensive proposition to take down and take apart the transmission. Other than possible failed sensor, the tranny is working well. Any special/replaceble parts I need to get if I attemp to take the tranny apart(other than sensor and pangasket/filter? or is it most likely rebuild/used replacement time... the van has 180k miles on it...

Seal installation & removal tools are nice to have, but you could get around them. A front pump alignment tool, torque wrench, gasket scraper, sockets, extensions, ratchet, breaker bar, pry bar, torx bits, snap ring pliers, funnel, drain pan, ramps, jack stands, and a transmission jack are must have items.

Thanks, BrooklynBay for the file. Not sure It is to my level to disassemble the transmission to the level thai is oulined in the manual you sent me so.... maybe a used tranny is in order. We do have a good source of used tranny here. My other question is can I take a 2 wheel drive Explorer/Ranger transmission be converted to 4 wheel drive by installing my Aerostar adapter plate and transfer cade or is the 2wd output shaft completely different than 4 wheel drive version and will not easily convert without a major teardown? I am just exploring the possibilities/options.

Back