• Register Today It's free!

'96 Aftermarket stereo install

Lildon21

Reaction score
City, State
McKenzie Bridge, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Explorer
Hey everyone. I've tried to search other topics and haven't been able to figure this out for myself....Sorry. Lots of talk on bypassing the amplifier and whatnot.

Basically I bought a BOSS head unit and some connectors from rock auto. Hooked this one up. Bought this one just in case

Got it all hooked up today, head unit powered on, but no sound. I matched up all the wires that were labeled the same. Only one's that didn't have a mate were the amp turn-on (12V+), amplifier ground, and power antenna wires. So I put the amp turn-on (12V+) wire with the constant 12V and got sound. Speakers also worked when that was connected to the 12 Volt ignition/switched (12V+) wires. So, the speakers work when that 12V amp turn-on wire is connected to power.

The head unit also has an option in the setting to turn of the internal amplifier, and when I do that I lose sound. I'm wondering if this means the factory amp is even running or if I'm just completing the circuit for the speakers when I do this. And the speakers are working when connected like this...but from what I've read I'm not sure if I should be connecting things this way.

From what I've read on the forum and elsewhere it looks like I can bypass the amp via some jumpers under the passenger side kick plate, or via the amplifier behind the back quarter panel.

This is what the stuff I ordered and connected looks like, if it helps.
PXL_20240307_235424755.jpg

Is there a problem with connecting the amp turn-on to the 12 Volt ignition/switched (12V+) or to the constant 12V wire? Or do I need to use some speaker wire and bypass the amp? I'm guessing the former might kill my battery?

Sorry for not knowing what I'm doing here. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Head unit for reference:

PXL_20240307_235359799.jpg

The head unit amp provides speakers power. The only external amp I know of is for the factory sub. The external amp should be wired to the antenna/amp turn-on wire from the head unit to turn it on and off with the head unit.

Well My old 96 xlt had a amp in the back that powered all the speakers and a separate amp for the factory sub

I bypassed the whole she bang and installed a 5 channel alpine amp,
All the speaker wiring was available behind the cargo panel passenger side where the factory amp was

You should use the remote wire to power the factory amp, do not hook it to full battery power or the amp will always be on even when radio is not

I know some factory amps want 5v to turn on and off not the 12v or you will get a loud pop through the speakers. For $25 you can get a 12v to 5v resistor

I’m not sure what system your 96 has but if it was like my old xlt with a 4 channel door speaker amp you should have the remote wire (amp turn on) wire hooked up to the factory amp turn on. Then you should have the high level speaker putouts feeding the factory amp

Back