96 Explorer, won't start, everything SHOULD be fine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer, won't start, everything SHOULD be fine

houston08

Reaction score
City, State
Hawkins, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer
Hey everyone.
I've been adding a Remote starter to my 96 Explorer, and it SEEMS to be working. Problem is car won't start even with a key. using the key, the remote start system (since I cut some wires to add it in) will allow the current to go through just fine. I've checked all the wirings (Constant 12V+, Starter, Ignition (2 wires)) and they get power just fine with the remote system turned on or off. Starter gets power during Start and Ignition gets it during run.

The fuses should all be fine, I replaced a few yesterday that were burnt out, all 7.5A fuses.

I read a few other posts disserning that the Check Engine Light should turn on during Run, but off during Start. Mine stays on, however, there is a good chance it has always been this way.

The battery is good, holding +12V. And it has Gas. :p

The gear shifter will prevent Starting sometimes, I'm not sure if it's like that with most 96 Explorers, but that shouldn't be the issue, as I've jiggled it several times, which is what always works.

Thats all I can think of.
I'm rechecking the fuses now, but this is a pretty high priority for me, I'm on a Local Volunteer FD, so I should be ready to respond... but until then, I'll be literally sprinting there. Should be fun. :salute:

Confirmed: The fuses are fine and I'm fresh out of ideas. Everything was working prior it my cutting of the Starter Wire, however, the starter wire is still getting power all the way through to the ignition harness as it was before.

"I read a few other posts disserning that the Check Engine Light should turn on during Run, but off during Start. Mine stays on, however, there is a good chance it has always been this way."

There is an even better chance that's your problem ... or at least a sign post. Get a reader and see if there is anything relevant to your problem.

It was operator error. I had the ignition wires going the wrong way from the Viper.

Back