• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT No 4WD or O/D when cold???

Squirrels

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Okay, bear with me here as I am new to 4WD vehicles.

So, when I went to buy my XLT, it was snowing. The dealer and I went out and started the truck. He cleared the snow off and after about 10 minutes of running, we were on our way. The truck was in 4 Low, so, even as naive as i was, i asked what do i have to do to get it in 4 high (I do at least know not to fly down a main road at 45mph in 4 LOW). He said put it in Neutral and turn the switch. Which I did. The indicator light switched to 4wd on the dash, i heard a slight noise underneath, then we left, and I purchased the truck.

That night, when I left work at midnight, it was about 18 degrees out. Icy conditions persuaded me to switch from 2wd to 4wd. I put the truck in neutral, turned the switch, waited... but no indicator light. I tried again at a stop light and again no indicator light. The light turned green and i started to drive only to be met with a slight hesitation and a loud clunk noise like i had been rear ended???

I also do not get an O/D indicator light when it is cold

Am I doing something wrong? Is it normal for the 4WD not to operate when cold?

There is no problem switching when it is warm. But doesn't it kind of negate the purpose of having a 4wd truck if the 4wd does not engage in cold weather/snow?

Please help, I really want this truck to be a pleasant experience lol!

Back