• Register Today It's free!

97 Check engine light don't work?

black97ex

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Just took my 1997 ford explorer xlt for Wisconsin Emissions and first off it failed because the check engine light will not illuminate and it also read codes
:p0171 (System too lean) and
:p0174 (System too lean)
I would really appreciate any thing that would be worth looking at or what I need to do to fix the check engine light.
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably either have the bulb burned out or somebody removed it.

Sounds like someone removed the bulb like a dirty seller or the lights been on so long that its burnt out, as mentioned above.

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak with those lean codes, underhood with engine running listen for hissing and or other sucking sounds.
The last one I fixed with those codes was an 03 Sport Track 4.0 SOHC and it had a leak in what I think was the PCV system a soft rubber boot near the front left of the engine about 3/4'' in diameter had sprung a little leak and was sucking a good amount of air unmetered air into the engine.
I replaced the leaky elbow with some heater hose and sent the guy on his way. This was after autozone sold him 2 O2 sensors he did not need, and that did not get installed.

Agreed on the blown bulb- does the bulb light up when you turn the key on?

Thanks for info.... i'm gonna check those things.... I did replace the intake gasket this last summer and might have forgot the connect something!
The check engine does not light up at all....I have owned the truck a little over a year and took it for emissions when I first got it and it passed with no problems. The check engine light has not been on since.

I'll bet you have a missing bulb if it isn't blown out...

Back