• Register Today It's free!

97 XLT engine replacement

desertbum8

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey guys. I have read a lot of posts here dealing with my XLT and just now registered because I need some help. I have a '97 XLT, V6 SOHC with 147k miles on it. I just rebuilt the engine because we had assumed there was a blown head gasket and the timing chain had a bad rattle. When that was over with it was running fine for a while but recently started up again. There is something leaking into the radiator but there is no water in the oil or tranny fluid. So I decided to replace the engine by either getting a crate deal or going to a junk yard. My question is does anyone have any ideas on where to go to get a somewhat cheap OEM engine? My other question is would it be possible to replace the V6 with a V8? What would need to be done in order to change it from a V6 to a V8? Any help would be greatly appreciated =-D

Edit: Something I forgot to ask earlier. When looking for the new engine, should I stick strictly to a '97 or what else would also work? I can't seem to find any info on other engine years that could be used.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the site. Checking it out now. Do you have any idea if it would be possible to drop an 8-cyl. in instead of a 6?

Thanks for the site. Checking it out now. Do you have any idea if it would be possible to drop an 8-cyl. in instead of a 6?

needs a 4r70w trans, new computer and wiring harness for starters.

Back