98 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc code p1729 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc code p1729

cgreaty

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Howdy y'all. I've been searching this forum but got brain lock so I decided to start a new thread. My newly aquired Explorer had a p1781 (4x4 low switch out of self test range) and a p1729 (4x4 low switch error) when I bought it. The 4 low and 4 high lights would intermittently flash and the O/D off light as well. I replaced the dash switch and transfer case shift motor (and cleaned the speed sensors) but the intermittent p1729 still remains. The O/D off light no longer flashes. Now the 4 low and 4 high lights flash in unison, intermittently, maybe 3 times in 10 miles. The front differential is staying locked so tight turns in drive or reverse get all bound up (have'nt looked into this yet and may be related). Any advice? I'm working on this at home so no breakout box available. Thanks!!

anybody? i'm hearing crickets up in here. it switches between 4low and 4 high just fine but sharp turns are tough because if the differentials apparently staying locked

anybody? i'm hearing crickets up in here. it switches between 4low and 4 high just fine but sharp turns are tough because if the differentials apparently staying locked
Any luck with the p1729? Did you put in a new shift motor.

Back